cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rzavgazaryan
Helper IV
Helper IV

SQL Views | Do you import fact table with a bunch of joins? Or seperate fact and dim tables?

Hi all -

When you're connecting to a SQL db, are you usually creating some sort of view in the db to connect to? In my experience, I've usually just make 1 view that contains all fields and dimensions required. But the issue with this, is that when I import it, it's not in a star schema model.

My question is, do folks usually seperatly import dimension tables? and have their fact table as a stand alone? When I was getting into Power BI, I would create star schema's from a flat CSV file by creating indexes, linking PK/FK together in the data model view, etc.

Looking for some best practices here - thank you!

1 REPLY 1
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

In general, I try to have views or tables shaped like I want on the SQL server so that I only have to load them without many additional steps in the query editor. This means loading separate fact and dimension tables rather than a big Frankentable that needs to be separated into pieces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2022 update 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the August 2022 updates!

August 1 episode 9_no_dates 768x460.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors