Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vliet_pbi
Advocate II
Advocate II

SQL Server database connect hangs

When I try to connect to a SQL Server database with SQL username and password, the spinner after connect spins for more than 10 minutes and the action does not complete. If I connect to the same database with the same credentials using SQL Server Management Studio, I get an instant connection and I can see all tables and views in the database with their columns. What is wrong with Power BI Desktop? I have already tried a repair, running Power Bi Desktop as administrator, removing and adding the data source, removing the credentials, prefixing the server with tcp: but nothing helps. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried to query [INFORMATION_SCHEMA].[COLUMNS] in SSMS shortly after posting this issue on the forum and got a lock time-out; it might have been caused by a simultaneous complete refresh of the warehouse database while I was trying to access that database. Next time I will first query this view before posting a Power BI issue, to make sure this meta-data is indeed available. I guess the object explorer of SSMS does not query the meta-data of the contained tables and views all at once (like Power BI does?), but probably just their names. I will try to access the database from Power BI today during office hours to see if it is indeed just a transient lock time-out on the SQL Server meta-data; if the issue remains I will post a new 'cry for help' on this forum, but with more detailed information.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vliet_pbi,

I just verified that I can use the latest version(2.47.4766.801 64-bit (June 2017)) of Power BI Desktop to connect SQL Server database without any issue.

As we cannot reproduce the issue and there is no any error message for further troubleshooting, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance on this issue. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried to query [INFORMATION_SCHEMA].[COLUMNS] in SSMS shortly after posting this issue on the forum and got a lock time-out; it might have been caused by a simultaneous complete refresh of the warehouse database while I was trying to access that database. Next time I will first query this view before posting a Power BI issue, to make sure this meta-data is indeed available. I guess the object explorer of SSMS does not query the meta-data of the contained tables and views all at once (like Power BI does?), but probably just their names. I will try to access the database from Power BI today during office hours to see if it is indeed just a transient lock time-out on the SQL Server meta-data; if the issue remains I will post a new 'cry for help' on this forum, but with more detailed information.

Are you attempting a Direct Query or Import?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.