Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoshT
Advocate II
Advocate II

SQL Server - Windows Authentication vs Microsoft Account

I need to clear up my understand of the relationship between the windows authenticated account and the microsoft account when connecting to a SQL Server instance. I'm currently able to connect with windows authentication but getting 'we couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided' error when using the MS account (I'm not typing my password in wrong) - which is making me think the two are separate entities even though they are the same username in the same domain? Am I right in saying the MS account would need to be added to the AD group alongside windows account in order to access?

I was originally getting the error 'a connection was established, but an error occurred... certificate chain not trusted' when signing in with MS account, so set up a certificate for encrypted connections (working with windows auth). This made me think that the MS account was authorised to connect to the server but just failing at certificate handshake, but I guess this was a red herring and it never could authenticate to the server in the first place?

Lastly, what authentication is used when a user is viewing a report from a client (e.g. phone app)? Is this defined in the report or does the user choose how to authenticate (it all seems to happen automatically, even though I have signed in with my organisation MS account)?

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JoshT ,

Please refer to the third - party bolg to know about the difference between the two types.

https://www.virtual-dba.com/differences-windows-sql-server-authentication/

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi,

This blog is about windows authentication and SQL authentication. I was looking for the difference between windows authentication and microsoft account (i.e. what appears to be office365 login) authentication that seems to be unique to Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.