Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vasco

SQL Server Named Pipes Provider, error: 40

Hi Power BI Experts,

I have been using successfully Power BI Desktop connected to an Access Web App located in MS Cloud service.

Everything was running amazingly smoothly until now. The problem is when I try to refresh the data, I receive the following error message ( the text may not be 100% accurate as I am translating it from portuguese):

"Microsoft SQL: There was an error related with the network or specific to the instance when establishing the connection to Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify the name of the instance is correct and the SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - It was not possible to open a connection to the SQL Server)"

I have recently installed Windows 10 in my computer and this was one this difficulty started.
Do I need to install SQL Server on top of Windows 10? If yes, what version?

I have double-check the server name and the database name. I dont see any place to put the username and password.
Is there any other configuration I need to do?

Any help to overcome this difficulty will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vasco from Sintra (Portugal)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to File -> Options & Settings -> Data Source settings. A window with all connections you have will appear. Select the SQL connection and at the bottom of the window click edit..Update the credentials.

Hope this is your problem

PowerBIDesktop.png

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

No you don't need to install SQL Server. It seems that something has changed and you can no longer connect to the DB (but I guess you know that). It may not be related to Power BI at all - you need to test it. Are you able (or even know how) to connect to the DB not using Power BI?  I would try that first and see if you can connect. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

MAllington, thank you for your help in delimiting the problem.

I have successfuly connect to the same DB via an Excel Sheet. Power BI Service (Online) is refreshing smoothly also.
The problem is restricted to Power BI Desktop.
Any further help to solve this issue will be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Vasco 

Go to File -> Options & Settings -> Data Source settings. A window with all connections you have will appear. Select the SQL connection and at the bottom of the window click edit..Update the credentials.

Hope this is your problem

PowerBIDesktop.png

Konstantinos Ioannou

Thank you Konstantinos.

After some struggle with the credentials (I was confusing database credentials with Windows credentials) all is working fine now 🙂

What a relief...

Kind regards from Sintra (Portugal)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.