Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gl21133

SQL Credential Format?

I'm having what I hope is a simple issue to solve.  In desktop I'm connected to an SQL server and am having no issue pulling the data I need to create reports.  However when I publish the report and then try to refresh the dataset it always fails.  Reports work fine but to update the datasets I have to republish the report.  I believe I've traced this back to the credentials used in the data source settings, which are currently set to "Windows" and "Current Credentials".

The issue is, when I try and change these by either using "Use alternate credentials" or Database credentials I get "The user was not authorized" error.  I've tried a few permutations of my login information, upper and lower case, with the server and a backslash, etc.  No luck.  What am I missing?  Seems like it's just a formatting issue but I can't for the life of me solve it.  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Can you post what the failure message you are receiving when the data set tries to refresh?  You can find this in web portal under Settings -> Datasets -> choose the dataset that is not refreshing -> Schedule Refresh -> Refresh history.  In the refresh history there should be a failure message that would help pinpoint what the problem is.

This is what I'm seeing:

Your Personal Gateway is offline or could not be reached. Ensure the gateway computer is on and you are logged on to it during the scheduled refresh period.

Looking through this now maybe the format isn't the issue after all as other on demand refreshes have completed ok.

Yeah it sounds like the issue is with the machine that the person gateway is installed on.  I don't have much experience with the person gateways but I'm sure someone else here can help you out with that.

I think the latest version of the Enterprise Gateway now is out and should support SQL data sources.  I'd use that rather than the personal gateway.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

So I've got personal gateway working alright, but now when I click "refresh now" on my dataset online, it just kicks over to the schedule refresh page (which isn't enabled because I'm not Pro yet).  Any ideas?  Or should I just upgrade to Pro?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.