Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fabiolamelo
Helper II
Helper II

SQL CONNECTION - EXCEL FILE

Hi everyone,

I`m working in one project that a company provide a finance erp service for many clients.

To get the data from their client`s erp they use an API that connected with their client`s server . I`ve created a lot of report using API as a source. However, for many reasons they want to change the connection . So, instead of API data, they will generate the data in Excel file from the client`s server.

My question is, if I connect with the server using a "SQL server" connection, is it possible to get this excel file with the data?

It`s seem easy but I`m not sure if this solution its possible. Can you please help me?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fabiolamelo ,

According to your description, I think get a excel file from a SQL server connector is feasible. You can import data from Excel or export data to Excel with SSIS by using one of the following tools:
     1.SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
     2.SQL Server Import and Export Wizard

vhenrykmstf_0-1628059550295.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1628059591443.png

vhenrykmstf_2-1628059610479.png

related document link:

Import from Excel or export to Excel with SSIS - SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) | Microsoft ...

Connect to an Excel Data Source (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard) - SQL Server Integration Servi...

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fabiolamelo ,

According to your description, I think get a excel file from a SQL server connector is feasible. You can import data from Excel or export data to Excel with SSIS by using one of the following tools:
     1.SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
     2.SQL Server Import and Export Wizard

vhenrykmstf_0-1628059550295.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1628059591443.png

vhenrykmstf_2-1628059610479.png

related document link:

Import from Excel or export to Excel with SSIS - SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) | Microsoft ...

Connect to an Excel Data Source (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard) - SQL Server Integration Servi...

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@fabiolamelo , You can have both SQL server and excel has Datasource in the same file. I am not sure what issue you are facing there

Hi @amitchandak thanks to your reply .

I understand that I can have SQL (using SQL server connector ) and Excel (using "Excel workbook") as a source. However, is it possible to get a excel file from a SQL server connector?

Maybe this question is too easy for you, but I didn`t have any situation like that before. I mean or I got the table direct from the SQL or I got the data from a Excel. But using a sql server connection and get a excel file I dont know i its possible.

Can you please help me?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.