Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL Authentication username/password security in Power BI Desktop

Hi,

If I use a SQL username/password in Power BI Desktop to connect to SQL Server (either DirectQuery or Import), is there a possiblity that the SQL username/password can be extracted from the /pbix file and breach security?  I'm source controlling .pbix files in GitHub so would like to mitigate any security risks.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous, If you rename the .pbix file to.zip, you have access to the underlying data files. You will find the DataMashup file and DataModel file. The DataMashup file contains the SQL Server name, domain, database, schema and table details. And the DataModel file contains the user profile name. Anyone who opens the .pbix file can get the server name, database name and even credential name related information. 

Even though SQL authentication appears to be encrypted in the file and not visible by other users. However, I still don't think it is a good idea to share a .pbix file with anyone don't trust or post it publicly.

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

So far I don't find any document that can free your concern. From what I observe, the involved credentials need to be re-initialized in Power BI service when publishing a pbix from desktop. So I prefer to think that there's no way to extract the credentials(Or they don't have to be re-initialized again).

Thanks for your feedback, I'd consult this concern internally and would post any update if I get. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.