Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wixlove

SQ Read Uncommitted connection

We absolutely cannot block users from entering data so have added the READ UNCOMMITTED syntax to our SQL query that is getting our data into Power BI Desktop. I understand that the data may be dirty and we'll live with that until the blocking issue is resolved.

My question is about the READ UNCOMMITTED--I learned that the syntax applies for SQL per session/connection. Is it the same for Power BI Desktop? In other words, when in a SQL statement that is importing data does the READ UNCOMMITTED cause the Desktop connection to 'read uncommitted' for any subsequent SQL statements used to import data? Is it necessary to end the connection for that command to be "cleared"? 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

We ran into a similar problem as well. All queries that submitted by PowerBI does not do an uncommitted read for any query that it is doing against the database server (in my case it was SQL Server). I enabled profiling and did few checks and right from the query that is submitted to get the list of database, schemas, tables etc to the any transformation quires we do after selecting the tables needed does not do an un committed read.

Anyone has any alternatives for this situation? 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@wixlove,

You may try connecting SQL Server Profiler to Power BI Desktop.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance#deep-dive-into-query-performa...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the suggestion! I tried to open the SQL Server Profiler but I get the error message:

"In order to run a trace against SQL Server you must be a member of sysadmin fixed server role or have the ALTER TRACE permission." 

My role has limited permissions and is the reason why I can't block users.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.