cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JVidal
Frequent Visitor

[SOLVED] R plotly custom visualization margin padding

Good morning all, 

I am creating a custom visualization with R with the plotly package.

The issue I am having is with the margin padding the custom visualization is adding to the output. I have set up the plotly chart to use 0 margin and padding, but the PowerBI visualization is adding padding I am trying to get rid off. Be aware in RStudio the plotly chart is with 0 margin, so I am positive the chart itself is produced correctly.

I have gone through the json files for the visualization trying to figure out an option I could find in the files, but I haven't been successful.

Is it possible to remove the padding the custom visuals are adding to the plotly chart?

Thank you

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JVidal
Frequent Visitor

Good morning, 

I have finally managed to get rid of the extra padding introduced in the visualization. I appears the bug is with htmlWidgets, that introduces padding into the html file.

A simple R function can get rid of the padding, such as the one below:

ReadFullFileReplaceString <- function(fnameIn, fnameOut, sourceString,targetString) {
  if(!file.exists(fnameIn))
    return(NULL)
  tx  <- readLines(fnameIn,encoding = "UTF-8")
  tx2  <- gsub(pattern = sourceString, replace = targetString, x = tx)
  writeLines(tx2, con = fnameOut)
}

The calling the function like so:

ReadFullFileReplaceString('out.html', 'out.html', ',"padding":[0-9]*,', ',"padding":0,')

Credit goes to MS, as the solution was found in one of their R visualizations, PowerBI-visuals-forcasting-exp

in their script.r file: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-visuals-forcasting-exp/blob/master/script.r

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JVidal
Frequent Visitor

Good morning, 

I have finally managed to get rid of the extra padding introduced in the visualization. I appears the bug is with htmlWidgets, that introduces padding into the html file.

A simple R function can get rid of the padding, such as the one below:

ReadFullFileReplaceString <- function(fnameIn, fnameOut, sourceString,targetString) {
  if(!file.exists(fnameIn))
    return(NULL)
  tx  <- readLines(fnameIn,encoding = "UTF-8")
  tx2  <- gsub(pattern = sourceString, replace = targetString, x = tx)
  writeLines(tx2, con = fnameOut)
}

The calling the function like so:

ReadFullFileReplaceString('out.html', 'out.html', ',"padding":[0-9]*,', ',"padding":0,')

Credit goes to MS, as the solution was found in one of their R visualizations, PowerBI-visuals-forcasting-exp

in their script.r file: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-visuals-forcasting-exp/blob/master/script.r

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JVidal ,

I am also trying to get rid off the extra padding of the custom visual. The R function you provided before, should this be included in script.r file? If so, does it comes before the "g = ggplotly(p); internalSaveWidget(g, 'out.html'); " part or after it.

Thanks in advance.

Ragards

Hi JNahar,

Yes, you need to paste/run the above code in the script.r file and for second part of your question, please see the previous discussions in the post

Cheers

@JVidal ,

I'm new to R script, where would I add your code in my script to remove the padding?

Below is my R script example;

source('./r_files/flatten_HTML.r')

libraryRequireInstall("ggplot2");
libraryRequireInstall("plotly")

df <- data.frame(RunID = Values$RunID, CLWT = Values$xCLw, PCLF = Values$xPCLFw) 

g = ggplot(df, aes(x=PCLF, y=CLWT, color= as.factor(RunID)))+
  geom_point(size=2)+
  labs(title="Pan Polar", x = "% CLF",y = "CL")+
  theme(text=element_text(size=8),
        plot.margin = unit(c(0.1,1,0.1,0.1),"cm"))

p = ggplotly(g) %>% config(displaylogo = FALSE, 
                           modeBarButtonsToRemove = list
                           ('toImage',
                             'zoomIn2d',
                             'zoomOut2d',
                             'lasso2d',
                             'hoverCompareCartesian',
                             'select2d'));
internalSaveWidget(p, 'out.html');

Hi,

You need to paste the @JVidal's script after 

internalSaveWidget(p, 'out.html')

That should do it.

Many thanks to @JVidal and the script works well.

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @JVidal ,

In this scenario, I would suggest you opening an idea in the idea forum at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,

Teige

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors