Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bstock
Frequent Visitor

SOAP API request works in Postman but can't get it to work in PowerBI

I am trying to connect to a SOAP API in Power BI and having some difficulties.  When I test the request in Postman, it works fine, and responds as I would expect, and I can see the data i'm looking for in the response.   If I save the response from Postman as an XML file, I can load it into PowerBI and use it no problem.

Problem is, when I try in Power BI to query the API directly, it appears to work, but I can't find the data that I'm looking for in the response, and I get the following error in the response data within Power BI: 

ORA-31011: XML parsing failed
ORA-19202: Error occurred in XML processing
LPX-00007: unexpected end-of-file encountered

Here is my request URL that works in postman, but doesn't seem to work in Power BI: 

https://apps5.somewebsite.com/tseta/servlet/salonws?xmldata=<taws><operation opstype="operation">export</operation><parameters><customercode>somecode</customercode>
<accesscode>someaccesscode</accesscode><username>someusername</username><startdatetime>07 feb 2019 0000</startdatetime><stopdatetime>07 feb 2019 2359</stopdatetime><activitytype>someactivity</activitytype></parameters></taws>

Any thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bstock
Frequent Visitor

So, answer was basically, I'm an idiot.  I had the wrong URL *facepalm*   Funny thing, once I corrected the URL, everything started to work. 

Thanks for the help folks. 

Bill

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bstock
Frequent Visitor

So, answer was basically, I'm an idiot.  I had the wrong URL *facepalm*   Funny thing, once I corrected the URL, everything started to work. 

Thanks for the help folks. 

Bill

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bstock ,

Hope the third - party blog can help you.

https://zappysys.com/blog/call-soap-api-power-bi-read-xml-web-service-data/

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.