Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GGR
Regular Visitor

SLICERS -> blank value

I have a question about using slicers in my report.

I make slicer which show the two years, I have just two values in my year table.

But I also see blank value , is it possible to hide this one ?  

PBI.png

Thanks for your time

GGR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@adamgor A work around I use quite often is to start with a visual that allows you to filter the value, select/exclude the blank, then change the visual to a slicer and the blank should be gone.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59

No this work around does not work in the current version of Power BI. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

thx @dcresp

I have tried this work around and can not get it to work. I am using thetable visual and in the Visual Filter and turning off do not display balnk. Can you please give me some more details about how you are doing this work around. Thank you.

I found a quick trick. If applicable, add the field showing the blanks int he Page level filters section; on the filter check Select All then uncheck (Blank).

I hope this helps! 🙂

If we add the page level filter then it would be visible to end user after deploying it on powerbi.com. So I don't think this is a good idea.

If we add the page level filter then it would be visible to end user after deploying it on powerbi.com. So I don't think this is a good idea.

This is a dashboard for external users so I am trying to avoid any page or report level filters, so agree not a great solution.

I guess I was only "tricking" myself Man Sad

I was able to remove blank as a choice in slicer by adding a report level filter. You have to make sure that blanks are not needed.

This workaround (changing the visual and again change it to slicer) is not working in my case. The Blank vale is still coming.

Is there a regression in the latest Power BI desktop for this option? It doesn't seem to be working. It worked fine in an earlier version

On the issue of what causes (Blank) values to appear in the first place, this definitely happens when a table on the many-side of a 1-to-many relationship contains values not present in the corresponding column of the table on the 1-side (with the slicer on a column from the table on the 1-side).

For example if my Sales table contains 2014, and is related to a Year table which doesn't contain 2014, then a (Blank) value is automatically inserted into the Year table (behind the scenes), to handle any values present in Sales but not present in Year.

Another way of thinking of it is the 'expanded' Sales table includes a Left Outer Join with the Year table, which results in (Blank) rows being generated where Sales contains a year that is not present in the Year table.

I'm not sure if this was causing the issue for the cases mentioned in this thread though...

Here's a dummy example showing one slicer with (Blank) from an 'incomplete' Year table, and one without (Blank) from a 'complete' Year table.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dnilwisu4wz9xh/Slicers%20blank%20example.pbix?dl=1

Capture.PNG

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks for the idea/hack Seth. So this is just a bug? 

@tenaciousdata (Shrugs) - I wouldn't say bug since it's never existed, I'd say it should be a feature request to include the option in the slicer.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Gotcha. Just don't understand the reason for the blanks in the first place....probably something logical....paging @mspowerbi

On a side note, with you @leonardmurphy @Mykhael & myself I believe the Wisconsin mafia can take over this community 🙂  

Just kidding @Sandy

Wisconsin is a Power BI over power!!!

@Seth_C_Bauer  Thanks!  I was able to apply a blanket page wide filter such as this, and it has fixed my issue!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Unfortunately I use the same workaround.....

They just need to add the option to be able to Turn Blank Values Off / On in the Slicer Options and I really hope they do this!

Slicer.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.