Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Marcel_Licko
Regular Visitor

SLA Hours email calculation using [DateTimeReceived]

Hello Power BI team,

I need to calculate the SLA of an email from the time we receive the email but we should only calculate the time from 9:00 till 17:00 so outside of this time no age should be added. So far I have onlt the calculation = DateTime.LocalNow() - [DateTimeReceived] but this inludes the time outside of our working hours.

I need something like this:

=DateTime.LocalNow( from 9:00 - till 17:00 ) - [DateTimeReceived]

image.png

[DateTimeReceived]

5 REPLIES 5
marian_scipa
Regular Visitor

I am also very intrested in Solution to this problem.

Let me try to add my 2 cents. The problems with SLA calculation based on email received time are:

1) How to tell Power BI to stop counting Age of the received emails after 5PM? And resume from 9AM the next day?

Example to this: I receive an email at 3PM on May 2nd. I open up my Power BI report the next day on 10AM. I see that the SLA for that email received yesterday is 19 hours. In fact, it should be only 3.

Of course I can setup a new column which will automatically substract -16 hours from the age of my SLA. But this only works if the email was received the previous day. And before 5 PM. 

2) If the email is received after 5PM, there is no fixed time I can substract...

Example: I receive an email at 7PM on May 2nd. I open up my Power BI report the next day on 10 AM. I see that SLA count is 15 hours. In fact it should be 1 hour.

3) If the email is received the same day, that is doable

However I cant think of any good formula to solve all 3 problems at the same time. The way I see it:

- First we need to distinguish between emails received the same day and the day before

- Then we need to add 2 rules for the previous day emails = Before 5 PM substract 16 hours from SLA. After 5 PM substract 15 hours if email received after 6PM (including), 14 hours after 7PM (including) etc.

- Then we need to sort out the same day emails in a separate rule

Any ideas?

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Marcel_Licko ,

We can add the steps as below in Power query. Please refer to the M code.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwtNQ3MAQiBUMjKwMDIFKK1YGJG+kbGikYWGARNzBRMDSDiccCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DateTimeReceived = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"DateTimeReceived", type datetime}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each DateTime.Time(DateTime.LocalNow())),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each DateTime.Time(#datetime(2019,01,01,09,0,0))),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "17:00", each DateTime.Time(#datetime(2019,01,01,17,0,0))),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom2",{{"Custom", "local"}, {"Custom.1", "9:00"}}),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Custom", each if[local]>=[#"9:00"] and [local]<=[#"17:00"] then DateTime.LocalNow() - [DateTimeReceived] else 0)
in
    #"Added Custom3"

Capture.PNG

Also please find the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello,

I have udated your table with todays times and dates and it is not working.

2/21/2019 8:00:00 AM result = 0.07:09:46.0459200  it should calculate after 9:00 that means 0.06:09:46.0459200  till 3:09:46 PM

2/21/2019 7:00:00 AM result = 0.08:09:46.0459200  it should calculate after 9:00 that means 0.06:09:46.0459200  till 3:09:46 PM

add1.jpg

Hi @Marcel_Licko ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi Frank,

It did not work,

It seems this STEP is not applied on the data source = Online Services / Microsoft Exchange Online:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each DateTime.Time(DateTime.LocalNow())),

I removed it and the result was the same, please make your test on your email exchange.

My version of MS Power BI Desktop - Version: 2.61.5192.641 64-bit (August 2018)

the mail received at 2/21/2019 8:00:54 AM should have SLA 4:43:35 till 1:44:30 PM & not 0.05:43:35

the mail received at 2/21/2019 7:46:29 AM should have SLA 4:43:35 till 1:44:30 PM & not 0.05:58:00

let
    Source = Exchange.Contents("any email address"),
    Mail1 = Source{[Name="Mail"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Mail1,{{"DateTimeReceived", type datetime}, {"Folder Path", type duration}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each DateTime.Time(#datetime(2019,01,01,09,0,0))),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "17:00", each DateTime.Time(#datetime(2019,01,01,17,0,0))),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom2",{{"Custom", "local"}, {"Custom.1", "9:00"}}),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Custom", each if[local]>=[#"9:00"] and [local]<=[#"17:00"] then DateTime.LocalNow() - [DateTimeReceived] else 0),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Folder Path", "Subject", "Sender", "DisplayTo", "DisplayCc", "ToRecipients", "CcRecipients", "BccRecipients", "DateTimeSent", "Importance", "Categories", "IsRead", "HasAttachments", "Attachments", "Preview", "Attributes", "Body", "Id", "DateTimeReceived", "local", "9:00", "17:00", "Custom"})
in
    #"Reordered Columns"

power Bi1.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.