Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChristophEmrich
Frequent Visitor

SELECTEDVALUE seemingly does not work

Hi everybody,

I'm probably doing something because I cannot get SELECTEDVALUE to work.

I have two columns: "CURRENT PLAN" and "PLAN". Both columns have 3 different values: "Plan 2018", "Plan 2019" and "Plan 2020".

I'd like to add a slicer for "CURRENT PLAN" and with that slicer only one option of the three can be selected. Then I have a measure displaying the units of that selected plan. The measure formula looks like this:

Current Plan Units = VAR SlicerValue = SELECTEDVALUE('Table Plans'[CURRENT PLAN]) RETURN SUMX(FILTER('Table Plans','Table Plans'[PLAN]=SlicerValue),'Table Plans'[Units])/1000

SELECTEDVALUE seems to always go the FALSE route. I don't know why...

Thank you already!

Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @ChristophEmrich 

First, for SELECTEDVALUE,

SELECTEDVALUE(<columnName>[, <alternateResult>])

Term Definition
columnName The name of an existing column, using standard DAX syntax. It cannot be an expression.
alternateResult (Optional) The value returned when the context for columnName has been filtered down to zero or more than one distinct value. When not provided, the default value is BLANK().

You couldn't select more than one value in slicer.

Second, from your formula we know that all the column are in the same table, if there is something wrong in here.

If you still have the problem, please share some sample data and your expected output.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChristophEmrich
Frequent Visitor

I don't know who selected the reply as solution, it wasn't me. It still does not work.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @ChristophEmrich 

First, for SELECTEDVALUE,

SELECTEDVALUE(<columnName>[, <alternateResult>])

Term Definition
columnName The name of an existing column, using standard DAX syntax. It cannot be an expression.
alternateResult (Optional) The value returned when the context for columnName has been filtered down to zero or more than one distinct value. When not provided, the default value is BLANK().

You couldn't select more than one value in slicer.

Second, from your formula we know that all the column are in the same table, if there is something wrong in here.

If you still have the problem, please share some sample data and your expected output.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.