Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMartinoBoston
Regular Visitor

SAS ODBC

SAS ODBC drivers (9.44 or 9.43) to connect to SAS files from the Power BI Desktop (all 64 bit on 64 bit Windows 10) are generating the following error message: "ODBC: an error occurred but no ODBC error information was available." during the setup of the data source (before I get to select a file, but after selecting the ODBC data source).

BTW I have been quite successful using R Script!

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RMartinoBoston,

Can you share some detail information about your issue?

In addition, you can check on your connection string to ensure it has correct format and parameters.

You can also take a look at below link about SAS connection string:

SAS connection strings

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Xiaoxin Sheng,

It looks like the IOMProvider requires a SAS Server (local or remote). I am looking for a way to read the SAS7bdat files w/out having access to a SAS server.

I did get some information from SAS about using the SAS Local Provider and instructions on how to use from the Excel Get Data Data Connection Wizard which works great in Excel.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make that provider work using ODBC or OLE DB in Power BI. Is there another way to do that?

Rachael

Hi @RMartinoBoston,

If you want to know how to use odbc to connect, you can take a look at the below link:

Odbc.Query([Driver=Provider, Server=ServerName, Database=SourceName], Querystring)

Odbc.Query

Odbc.Query("Driver={SQL Anywhere 16};Host=montegoref7",  "select * from Products")  

Odbc.Query([Driver="PostgreSQL Unicode", Server="montegoref7", Database="Northwind"], "select * from ""public"".""Products""")  

Notice, you should ensure the provider is correctly installed in your computer.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Xiaoxin Sheng,

However, without a Server to refrerence, I don't seem to be able to get the ODBC query to work.

Rachael

Hi All,

Generally not great documentation on this driver, seems everyone else knows how to do it.

Use the SAS Local Data Provider which you can find in:

Data->From Other Source->From Data Connection Wizard->Other/Advanced->SAS Local Data Provider <<latest version on your machine>>

Enter only the path into Data Source:, nothing else, test the connection and it should bring up the tables in that location.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.