Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Franklin1
Advocate I
Advocate I

SAP - PBI Integration

Hello,

We want to create a report for a third party using their data in SAP.

The report will be created using the Desktop BI App by us, and will be shared with the 3rd party using PowerBI (Web).

We have no SAP license at this point of time.

We have a few questoins:

1. In order to get data from SAP to the PBI Desktop what exactly do we need? we realized that we need SAP Hana ODBC, but in order to download the SAP Hana Client do we need any other SAP License?

2. Does the Get Data, support geting data from SAP Business One?

3. The users of the Dashboard will be use them by PowerBI (Web). Do they need to install the SAP Hana ODBC as well?

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
hthota
Resolver III
Resolver III
TORNALLY
Helper I
Helper I

Getting data out of SAP is a snap using Simplement's Data Liberator:

www.simplement.us

This platform surfaces any SAP table in real-time, directly into SQL Server, ready for integration, Power BI, SSAS, SSRS, Tabular, or further processing in Management Studio.  It is simple, and powerful, and easily integrates with third party data, as does Power BI.

Mike McNally

mmcnally@simplement.us

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Franklin1,

Q1: You can refer to belowl link which about use SAP Hana in power bi:

Use SAP HANA in Power BI Desktop

Q2: No. SAP hana and SAP BW not the same datasource.

SAP BW and SAP HANA – a simpler view

Q3: Not need to, you only need to config the gateway and share the dashboard to users.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot Xiaoxin,

I still need a few more clarifications please:

The data I want to get to PowerBI is comng from SAP Business One.

Regarding Q2: Just to make sure I got your point - so SAP Business One is a SAP BW?

As far as I am aware of, there is a way to get data from SAP BW (one of the sources under Get Data is SAP Business Warehouse Server).

Is that correct?

What do I need to be installed in my local machine in order to get data from SAP Business One (see also comment regardint Q1 below).

Regarding Q1: I understand that I need connectors (for SAP BW) / Client (for SAP Hana). The issue is that at this point of time I don't have any SAP License, so I can not download the required Connector/Client. What do I need in order to be able to download it?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Franklin1,

Hope you have figured out the questions you raised. Xiaoxin's replies are helpful and informative.

I had a chance to work with SAP B1 based on HANA and MS SQL database as well as Power BI. SAP Business One is an ERP product for small to medium size companies while SAP BW is a data warehouse product. 

Your Power BI desktop is connecting to the B1 database. You can use ODBC or the PBI MSSQL connector to connect to MSSQL or using the PBI HANA connector to connect to HANA database. So technically speaking you don't need the B1 ERP license as you don't have to login to SAP B1 to pull data. Please note that there may be some terms from B1's End User License Agreement that end user should not connect to database via unauthorized connection. So please check with your SAP partner or admin about the details.

There have been many "Power BI content packs" for various applications. But it doesn't seem there is one for B1 yet.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Hi @Franklin1,

>>Regarding Q2: Just to make sure I got your point - so SAP Business One is a SAP BW?

Sorry, it seems like I have misunderstanding of SAP B1.

>>What do I need to be installed in my local machine in order to get data from SAP Business One (see also comment regardint Q1 below).

Power bi desktop has the connector of sap bw/hana, current it not support sap b1. About this requirement, I'd like to suggest you submit an idea to ideas forum.

>>The issue is that at this point of time I don't have any SAP License, so I can not download the required Connector/Client. What do I need in order to be able to download it?

I think you can get further support at sap forum.

BTW, you can also try to use OLE DB and ODBC to connect.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Anyone?

Franklin1
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can anyone comment here?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.