Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAP BW timeout option, runtime errorcode 2147467259

I can connect to my SAP Business Warehouse server.

I used this tutorial, setting Environment Variables:  https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAPConn/Download+and+Installation+of+NW+RFC+SDK

When I load only one month of data, the query is ok. Power BI is ok.

But when I load a larger period, 6 months or more, I get the error below after 9-10 minutes.

Is this a timeout error? (that 10min limit error?)

Or another kind of error? The ErrorCode does not help me to find out what´s wrong...

DataSource.Error: SAP Business Warehouse: RfcInvoke failed(RFC_ABAP_RUNTIME_FAILURE): TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED

Detalhes:

DataSourceKind=SapBusinessWarehouse

DataSourcePath=**MyServer**

ErrorCode=-2147467259

When I load Web pages, I can set a timeout limit.

When will this option be available for SAP BW cubes?

SAP options:

sap.png

WEB options:

web.png

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I retested some queries (cubes) in SAP BW...

It seems that this runtime error actually is the limit of 750k cells from SAP BW.

SAP BW returns a maximum of 750.000 cells. If Power BI tries to read a cube bigger than 750k cells, SAP BW locks up and the error comes in on Power BI.

Can someone please confirm this?

Some people have suggested to change SAP BW to SAP HANA, is it worth it?
Does SAP HANA have a cell limit like SAP BW?

Anonymous
Not applicable

One more test:

I loaded 5 months worth of data from my SAP BW server, total of 2.047.072 cells.

Way more cells than the 750.000 original limit from SAP BW.

Average of 409k cells per month.
I cannot load 6 months of data. Using the average, it should get a total of 2.456.486 cells.
So I think this limit if from Power BI itself, not from SAP BW...

Hi @Anonymous,

Please enable the Power BI desktop trace log, then repeat the steps to connect to SAP BW, share the trace file with us. You can upload files to OneDrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angelia. Please, where or what should I look for in the trace log?

any error code, script sequence?

there is a lot of empty files as well...

What kind of private information if there inside the trace log? I am not sure I am allowed to shared it...

Hi @DN,

For looking for trace log, please review and follow this blog.

If there is private information you're worried about. You can create a support ticket on the right bottom to check your issue, which is safe.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the blog, but the attached pbix file does not work. I get a lot of errors inside the query.
I will try to get a support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened a support ticket, this is the answer I got:

Contacted the Product team and below is the update form the Product team

In the case posted to the forums, this means that their server ran out of memory while running the query. That’s a limitation on the server side. They may be able to overcome this by running more and then combining the data locally.

DataSource.Error: SAP Business Warehouse: RfcInvoke failed(RFC_ABAP_RUNTIME_FAILURE): TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED

But I don´t think this is correct...

When I loaded the cube using another BI program, it loads the whole cube.

If I use Direct Query, Power BI is able to load the whole cube, but than the user interface is a lot more limited (cannot view data, relationships, cannot load more data on the same project).

Power BI somehow can only import 5 months of data (not direct query, import mode).

I know Power BI will convert the cube view to tabular view, but will this occur inside the SAP BW server? Is this the reason for the error?

This simple question was not answered by the ticket guy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with the same problem. Someone discover the cause? Is it a Power BI limitation? 

I am also receiving the same issue! I think it's the way Power BI is calling the data or something that is maxing out our memory in SAP BW since I could see the entire InfoProvider when I looked at it in BEx Analyzer. Has anyone come up with a solution or work around?

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

no... so far, the best option is to adjust SAP BW in small cubes, this way the conversion is faster and does not run out of available memory and resources.

or use direct query in Power BI, but then you can only create measures. you cannot se data or relationship.

Thank you DN for such a quick response! I'll let you know if I figure out a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In direct query mode, it doesn't load the whole cube, but it do many small request with few axes, one by graph or visualisation.

Same thing with analysis for office for exemple.

In import mode, it try to load one big set of data with many axes so it use a lot more memory on SAP application server side.

I think it's not a Power BI bug or a bad SAP configuration but more a concept weakness. Responsiveness of import mode come at a price...

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are having the same problem in my company.

Is there any update on this topic? There have been some fixes implemented?

Kind Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, understood. But I am no longer with access to SAP BW server. I asked my coworker to try and enable trace log while performing the data load. As soon as I have the trace log file, I will share it here.

About the timeout option, there is an option to set timeout command, according to this March update.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-update-feature-summary/
But where should I use this command? Inside the MDX box?
What are the correct syntax and parameters?

Could someone please provide an example of this command?

Hi @Anonymous,

In the blog, it said you get data from SQL Server database. We can add T-SQL command under the “Advanced options” section in data source dialogs. For example, we can use T-SQL @@LOCK_TIMEOUT function to set the timeout.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.