Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hemantsingh
Helper V
Helper V

SAP BW parameter issue while trying to Access SAP BW report

Dear Senior Community Members,

I have established a connection between power BI & SAP BW. I am able to see all the cubes & under them their corresponding reports too. Problem is that i am not able to access any of the report. Every time i click on any dimension or measure ,power bi throws a pop up saying "a required Parameter is not provided" as an error.

Neither any window is showing up for passing the parameter nor i am able to understand how to proceeed further. Also, I wanted to know , when I connects to SAP BW through power BI, am i  able to connects to report inside the cubes only and not to SAP BW Tables???

Please furnish some knowledge on this too. Find below the parameter error. 

Tagging you people @ankitpatira @v-qiuyu-msft @v-yuezhe-msft as i strongly believe you must have some thing in your knowledge base to help me out. 

Regards,

Hemant

Parameter_1.JPGParameter_2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
sazanrex

Hello @hemantsingh,

Did you manage to fix the "Parameter.Error: A required cube parameter was not provided."? I am having a similar problem?

HI @sazanrex

Instead of connecting to reports in BW, try connecting to cubes. Further, ask your BW guy to create a new or a copy of cube with lesser data as normally cubes of a BW contains the humongous amount of data. I would recommend you to start with a cube of size 10 gb or so. 

Lemme know if this advice helps you.

Regards,

Hemant

Did you find a solution to this? I've got the same problem.

According to the features list of the April 2017 update, there are "enhancements to SAP parameter input experience" with a video that does show no live demo. "enhancements" implies that there was a possibility to define parameters before that update - but where? And there is still no possibility to do that, the screenshots are different to what I see in my current (april) installation. It seems they show a feature that simply isn't there! What am I missing here?

Hi @Sokon,

I am on official travel these days. Therefore, didn't get time to check the april update as of yet. I will try to replicate the issue again  at my end & will update you in some time. Further, please check out below things in the meantime.

1) are you able to connect to cubes & diff reports in SAP BW separately??  Means, first Try to connect to a cube separately & if you are successful in doing so then try to connect to reports without any mandatory parameters.

2) Watch the video on you tube on variable parameter usage in power BI. Try to relate that with your problem.

Write me back the result of above two points. Njoy dashborading.

Regards,

Hemant

Hemant

Hi Hemant and thanks for your answer,

I can connect do SAP BW, no problem. I even get data, like, all data from any query that doesn't have mandatory parameters. I can connect to cubes, too (I don't need paramters there, do I?) But I have to use mandatory parameters and want to use option parameters of the query because sometimes you are not allowed to change the source and want to re-use an existing one.

I already know about (report) parameters, as you can learn from the videos. I couldn't find a video about entering parameters for SAP queries.

I startetd another post on this: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SAP-BW-connector-parameter-input-How/td-p/160489

It explains the problem with screenshots.

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi hemantsingh,

Have you tried to select other cubes data to check this out?

In addition, make sure you have specified a Server, System Number and Client ID to establish the connection.

Currently I am not available to test this, suggestions here is:

1. Enable tracing under Power BI desktop;
  2. Check the troubleshooting part under the following page: Use the SAP BW Connector in Power BI Desktop.

If available, upload the trace logs into OneDrive and we will help to take a look.

Regards

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

My sincere thanks for taking out time to look into the issue & helping me in moving forward. Further, as told by you I have already specified Server,System Number and Client ID to establish the connection with PBI. 

FYI, I read @saagarkinja feedback on the same issue under different question. I would like to thank him for mailing me the necessary library files that were required to be placed in windows system 32 folder for making a successful connection. He also clarified that PBI doesn't work well with Bex reports instead i should try to browse infocubes. I did the same & everything is working fine.

Further, @v-micsh-msft @saagarkinja Is there a way to restrict the no. of rows to load in PBI model from a SAP BW cube. Somewhat like loading data from SQL server by writing queries. Moreover, I would like to control the data to be load into the PB model. As of now if a specific SAP BW Cube contains data from year 2009 than PBI tries to load all the data which makes it very slow as the total no. of rows amounts to billions. 

Any guesses??

Regards,

Hemant

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.