Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAP BW/4HANA query prompt not showing in Direct Query mode

Hi 

I have a BW Query with prompts. There is a default value for the prompt set by variables (by BW Query Designer).

I am connecting to the BW Query using the recommended SAP .NET Connector and implementation 2.0. 

The report runs fine but does not display the prompts. I am not aware of any limitations around this and will immensely appreciate if there is any additional configuration needed to enable this functionality.

Please help.

Thanks,

@Anonymous 

Tagging:

@Icey 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to resolve this issue.

If the BW Query has filters (prompts) with default values then the query runs with default values in Power BI and doesn't require the user for the prompt. The is explained in Microsoft documentation

I have included the screenshot below:

PBI BW Direct Query Default Filter.JPG

If the filter (prompt) in the BW Query is made mandatory without any default values then a prompt is shown and can be changed from Edit Queries > Edit Variables.

BW Query Prompt.JPG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to resolve this issue.

If the BW Query has filters (prompts) with default values then the query runs with default values in Power BI and doesn't require the user for the prompt. The is explained in Microsoft documentation

I have included the screenshot below:

PBI BW Direct Query Default Filter.JPG

If the filter (prompt) in the BW Query is made mandatory without any default values then a prompt is shown and can be changed from Edit Queries > Edit Variables.

BW Query Prompt.JPG

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You could refer to similar threads.

Please use the lastest version of Power BI Desktop.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SAP-BW-connector-parameter-input-How/td-p/160489

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SAP-BW-BEx-Dynamic-Parameters/td-p/464624

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

Thanks for your reply.

I have read the threads you have suggested. It is not clear if the scenario is related to Direct Query or Import mode.

I am using Implementation 2.0 using .NET Connector and a direct query to BW/4HANA.

We also use SAP Analytics Cloud for reporting and the prompts correctly appear in SAP Analytics Cloud interface for the same BW Query. However, the behaviour in Power BI different. The query runs but I don't see any inputs for query prompts. The requirement is to connect to BW query and in direct query mode only.

Please can you advise?

Thanks,

Abdul Rafay

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.