Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ISSUE

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR  Issue

I have a very simple data set, that is a sub set of a larger data set where I am trying to create a measure to determine a value for same period last year.

Data basically has a product line, product line description, actuals data and I need to set same period last year to get actuals data for the same period last year.

Data set contains a few rows of data for Jan 15, 2021 and Jan 15, 2022

I have a valid date table that seems to meet these criteria:

To work with Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) time intelligence functions, there's a prerequisite model requirement: You must have at least one date table in your model. A date table is a table that meets the following requirements:

•             It must have a column of data type date (or date/time)—known as the date column.
  •             The date column must contain unique values.
  •             The date column must not contain BLANKs.
  •             The date column must not have any missing dates.
  •             The date column must span full years. A year isn't necessarily a calendar year (January-December).
  •             The date table must be marked as a date table.

The date table in my data set is named :  vw_FiscalStartDate.
Main table with data is vw_PL_Analysis

Vw_PL_Analysis has a column named pbixDate which contains full dates for transactions for the period.

I have a relationship between this column and the FUllDate column in vw_FiscalStartDate.

I have created a measure that returns GL Actuals in one column.  This seems to work.  I have calculated SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR             trying to use this measure as a variable and using the column identified in my data.  (See solution).

I either get one of three consistent responses. 

1. Prior year = EMPTY
  2. Prior year = THIS SAME PERIOD DATA
  3. Prior year – it adds a row for a future date and gives this years values.

I am struggling here and cannot get this to work.

My solution is in a ZIPPED PBIX file located here:

https://tinyurl.com/589df3yj

Can anyone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

You could cahnge the measure .

PriorYRActuals2 = 
CALCULATE(SUM('vw_PL_Analysis'[ActualsBookUSD]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('vw_PL_Analysis'[pbixDate]),ALL(vw_FiscalStartDate))

The final output is shown below:

vyalanwumsft_1-1650597468774.png

Or change the visual.

vyalanwumsft_0-1650597429419.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

You could cahnge the measure .

PriorYRActuals2 = 
CALCULATE(SUM('vw_PL_Analysis'[ActualsBookUSD]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('vw_PL_Analysis'[pbixDate]),ALL(vw_FiscalStartDate))

The final output is shown below:

vyalanwumsft_1-1650597468774.png

Or change the visual.

vyalanwumsft_0-1650597429419.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Your 3rd measure is the correct one. The reason that it is adding a row with a future date is that the measure produces a non-blank result for that date, which is the value from this year.

To prevent future dates showing up there are a couple of options, at least. You could add another column onto your calendar table like

Before Today = IF( 'Date'[Date] < TODAY(),1, 0)

and then use that as a visual level filter, or use it inside the measure itself to only return a value when Before Today is 1. Personally I would choose the visual level filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.