Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlB
Super User
Super User

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATESYTD( )) different from DATESYTD(SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR( ))??

Hi all,

This came up as I was trying to answer this post by @hbolo (no need to read it to answer this question). Here is the pbix

We have a Date table with dates between 01/01/2018 and today (Jan 3rd, 2019).

We place Date[Date] (down to the day level) in the rows of a matrix visual and these two measures in values:

YTDPreviousYearRevenue =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Revenue[Revenue] );
    SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( DATESYTD ( 'Date Table'[Date] ) )
)
YTDPreviousYearRevenue_2 =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Revenue[Revenue] );
    DATESYTD ( SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( 'Date Table'[Date] ) )
)

where we are simply calculating the YTD revenue for the previous year.

For January 3rd, 2019 (the last day on the Date table),
[YTDPreviousYearRevenue_ 2] yields the correct result (i.e. the revenue for 1-3 Jan 2018).

However, [YTDPreviousYearRevenue] yields an incorrect result: the revenue for 1-31 Jan 2018. [YTDPreviousYearRevenue] is thus considering the full month of January 2018 while the YTD of 2019 is only 1-3 Jan, the first 3 days I would expect both measures to yield the exact same result.

Note that [YTDPreviousYearRevenue] yields the correct result for the 1st and 2nd Jan 2019. The only issue seems to be on the 3rd Jan 2019, the last day on the Date table.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Many thanks for your help

Note: I suspect it has to do with the Date table finishing on Jan 3rd, 2019 but do not know why. If the Date table is extended to include dates up to the end of 2019 this problem disappears.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is just another case where the Time Intelligence functions don't work as expected because the Date table is wrong.

Remember: Time Intelligence functions are guaranteed to work *only* if the Date table is "complete" - meaning you need all the dates until the end of the year.

Not doing that, what happens is that the year 2019 seems made by 15 days, so if you include all of them than it seems you have an entire month, or an entire year.... You are violating the assumption made by Time Intelligence and you cannot trust any result at that point.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.