Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running total not working with extra filter

Hi everyone,

I've created a running total which is working fine. However, if I use that measure and add another filter in another measure, the running total is not working.

The running total formula is:

Running total = CALCULATE(SUM(FactActuals[Waarde/CO-valuta]);filter(ALLSELECTED(DimCalendar);DimCalendar[Date]<=MAX(DimCalendar[Date])))

The formule with the added filter is:

Running total with extra filter = CALCULATE([Running total];filter(FactActuals;FactActuals[Name]="Mr.X"))

So the 2nd formula is the same as the first one, expect for the added filter.

However the 2nd formule doenst have the running total, but has single values for each year (see screenshot below).

I don't understand the logic.

screenshot.jpg

The following formula is working, but is not the formula that I want to use.  I would like to use the filter option.

Running total with extra filter = CALCULATE([Running total];FactActuals[Name]="Mr.X")

Could someone help me out with explaining why the 2nd formula isnt working as expected?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When you write a table expression into a CALCULATE it is always transformed into a FILTER here is a quote from a good post on this

When you write a CALCULATE statement, all the filter arguments are table expressions, such as a list of values for one or more columns, or for an entire table. For example, when you write:

CALCULATE (
    <expression>,
    table[column] = <value>
)
COPYDAX CONVENTIONSCODE #1 FORMAT CODE WITH 

In reality the filter expression you wrote is transformed in:

CALCULATE (
    <expression>,
    FILTER (
        ALL ( table[column] ),
        table[column] = <value>
    )
)

so when you write this it is then transformed again

filter(FactActuals;FactActuals[Name]="Mr.X"

So the formula you "want to use" is the one that DAX transforms your calculate statement into automatically... you don't have to explicitly write "Filter"

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!