Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

comrade

Running total and percent spent

Hello everyone, new to Power BI and was hoping you all can help me out with some formulas. I’ve tried googling and currently at a loss on how to calculate a running total balance and percent spent.

I did a quick calculation in Excel to show you guys what specific information I want to display in Power BI. The items highlighted in green is where the struggle is. The other items on the table are built from 3 separate workbooks and generated in Power BI as a table.

The “current spent” and the “target” amounts are not part of any table. However, those amounts are required in order to calculate the running total and the % spent.  

So my question is, do I need to import another table into Power BI which will show the “current spent” and the “target” amount? And what would the calculation formula look like?

Any help is appreciated.screen shot.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@comrade,

Yes certainly. You should bring the current spent and Target as a separate table into Power BI and then perform your calculations.

But the problem is, since Power BI works based on Data Model, I am wondering even if you bring this as a new table into Power Bi, how would you be able to use this table in your report as this doesn't have any column to join with your data model. Hope you have something based on which that table can be related to the data model

Remember that you can not use this similar to the way you do in excel, where you just select a cell and do whatever calculations you have...!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@comrade,

Yes certainly. You should bring the current spent and Target as a separate table into Power BI and then perform your calculations.

But the problem is, since Power BI works based on Data Model, I am wondering even if you bring this as a new table into Power Bi, how would you be able to use this table in your report as this doesn't have any column to join with your data model. Hope you have something based on which that table can be related to the data model

Remember that you can not use this similar to the way you do in excel, where you just select a cell and do whatever calculations you have...!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.