Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Omer4uq
Regular Visitor

Running .pbix file to multiple computers with different roles

Can I generate a PowerBI file that includes queries and make them available for other users? Is this only possible for PowerBI online or also for Desktop version?

I have a .pbix file that i want to share with other users in the company but i want to use Power BI desktop and want to assign Roles so that only selected reports each can see.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Omer4uq

No, it is not possible. But you can achieve somewhat automation (less manual work) by just creating one role and passing UPN property of the logged in user via that role to the user security table where you will have Employee Manager relationship mapped. Check out below link on using Username() function of DAX for RLS. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Omer4uq
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

Thanks for the reply but i want it in Power BI desktop and restrict user on the basis of report. is it possible??

@Omer4uq

No, it is not possible. But you can achieve somewhat automation (less manual work) by just creating one role and passing UPN property of the logged in user via that role to the user security table where you will have Employee Manager relationship mapped. Check out below link on using Username() function of DAX for RLS. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Omer4uq

For Desktop version, only when connect SSAS Tabular with live connection, it will take the Row Level Security you configured within Tabular Model. For more details, please refer to Tutorial: Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular model and Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

For other sources, we can only use RLS in Power BI Service.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.