cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Omer4uq Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Running .pbix file to multiple computers with different roles

Can I generate a PowerBI file that includes queries and make them available for other users? Is this only possible for PowerBI online or also for Desktop version?

I have a .pbix file that i want to share with other users in the company but i want to use Power BI desktop and want to assign Roles so that only selected reports each can see.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-haibl-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Running .pbix file to multiple computers with different roles

@Omer4uq

No, it is not possible. But you can achieve somewhat automation (less manual work) by just creating one role and passing UPN property of the logged in user via that role to the user security table where you will have Employee Manager relationship mapped. Check out below link on using Username() function of DAX for RLS. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/

Best Regards,
Herbert

3 REPLIES 3
Super Contributor

@Omer4uq

For Desktop version, only when connect SSAS Tabular with live connection, it will take the Row Level Security you configured within Tabular Model. For more details, please refer to Tutorial: Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular model and Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

For other sources, we can only use RLS in Power BI Service.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Omer4uq Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

Thanks for the reply but i want it in Power BI desktop and restrict user on the basis of report. is it possible??

Super Contributor

@Omer4uq

No, it is not possible. But you can achieve somewhat automation (less manual work) by just creating one role and passing UPN property of the logged in user via that role to the user security table where you will have Employee Manager relationship mapped. Check out below link on using Username() function of DAX for RLS. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 258 members 2,633 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: