Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Running count that resets if a row has a particular value

Hello,

I need your help. I've been trying to do this with DAX but no luck. I'm stuck. What I want to achieve is for the running count to reset if the value of column "Instance within 5 weeks" is 1. If the column value is 1, then the running count resets to 1. If the next row is not 1, then the running count becomes 2 and then 3 and 4 which will reset to 1 if "Instance within 5 weeks" is 1 again.

EXCEL_2018-06-06_11-28-13.png

Here's the pq script of the sample data:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hdI7C4MwFAXgvyKZHXLNQzN26Gpfo0iR0qEUdPH/Y87NbSHTFZSA+W6OB6fJ+N605nq+Py7jc9ya5bV/trXZl+97zS9uJ5svyivyePzvuc10UGlKeeWwr6tp0ihZC8peeMc0WJ0iqwfzQl2hpNMABRaE+kI7nUbsBosSOhTqVEqYzun6qqbgdcoHwQ91TUGn/Jnwv5alpqhTTOd0ZKVm6Un9nYgwnuMRSc+5qPkA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Index = _t, #"Person & Error" = _t, #"QA#" = _t, #"Work week" = _t, #"Running Instance" = _t, #"Instance within 5 weeks" = _t, #"Desired Result" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Index", Int64.Type}, {"Person & Error", type text}, {"QA#", type text}, {"Work week", Int64.Type}, {"Running Instance", Int64.Type}, {"Instance within 5 weeks", Int64.Type}, {"Desired Result", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hello,

For a DAX calculated column I would do something like this (it assumes the Index column increments by 1 on each row):

Result =
VAR CurrentIndex = Data[Index]
VAR PreviousResetIndex =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Data[Index] ),
        ALL ( Data ),
        Data[Index] <= CurrentIndex,
        Data[Instance within 5 weeks] = 1
    )
RETURN
    CurrentIndex - PreviousResetIndex
        + 1

Does that work?

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hello,

For a DAX calculated column I would do something like this (it assumes the Index column increments by 1 on each row):

Result =
VAR CurrentIndex = Data[Index]
VAR PreviousResetIndex =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Data[Index] ),
        ALL ( Data ),
        Data[Index] <= CurrentIndex,
        Data[Instance within 5 weeks] = 1
    )
RETURN
    CurrentIndex - PreviousResetIndex
        + 1

Does that work?

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

@OwenAuger

Thank you!  This works like a charm. I was actually able to  come up with the same result but a longer solution. Had to use LASTNONBLANK() to do an filldown of the running instance only if the instance column is 1 and then create another column to do a count based on the unique criteria and if index is less than the current index.

Your solution is way shorter and more elegant. 

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.