Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running Total to Ignore Specific Filter

Okay. So I've made a lot of progress on a Running Total measure (and again much thanks to these forums), but I have one additional question. Bear with me as I'm still learning about contexts and filters and how they impact everything. 

My Running Total is adding up the number of graduates over every semester (Spring, Summer, Fall) over multiple years. So for any particular cohort, I can track the total number of graduates as they add up each semester. Works fine.

But Summer is often a "lower" enrollment time for a particular cohort, so I want to filter out that Semester for the visualization. The problem when I do this is that the equation no longer includes Summer graduates in my Running Total. I understand why it does this, I just don't know how to prevent this in my equation. 

Here's my equation:

RunningGradTotal = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(DegreeConferred[StudentID]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(DegreeConferred),DegreeConferred[TERM_END_DATE]<=MAX(TermInfo[TERM_END_DATE])),VALUES(CohortOriginal))

Here's an example:

Term      Graduates

12/FA    50

13/SP    100

13/SU    110      //10 students graduated in Summer

13/FA    160      

But if I filter out Summer, I get something like:

Here's an example:

Term      Graduates

12/FA    50

13/SP    100

13/FA    150      //I'm missing the 10 students graduated in Summer, I should still get 160 total graduates here regardless of the SU filter

Any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Can you add a clause to the CALCULATE function with ALL(Table[Column]) with whatever column the slicer is based on?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Can you add a clause to the CALCULATE function with ALL(Table[Column]) with whatever column the slicer is based on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jahida Thanks for the suggestion, and initially it wouldn't work. But I just modified the original to:

RunningGradTotal2 = CALCULATE(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(DegreeConferred[StudentID]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(DegreeConferred),DegreeConferred[TERM_END_DATE]<=MAX(TermInfo[TERM_END_DATE])),VALUES(CohortOriginal)),ALL(TermInfo[Semester]))

And now that's working. I wasn't aware that you could nest multiple CALCULATE() statements together, but it looks like that makes sense. It the equation ignores the Semester filter I have set at the Page level and still gives me my correct Running Total.

Thanks for the assist!

@Anonymous This helped me a lot thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.