Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nironixon
Frequent Visitor

Running Total on the given dataset?

Hi there,
Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction how to calculate the running total column on the following
example dataset in powerbi;

ACCOUNTS Table:
ID | CREATEDDATE | DELETEDDATE |
1   | 2018-01-01       | NULL   |
2   | 2018-01-01       | NULL |
3   | 2018-01-02       | NULL |
4   | 2018-01-03       | 2018-01-04 |
5   | 2018-01-04       | NULL |

Explanation to the table;
For reach row that models an "account" we store when it was created (createddate) and when the account
is deleted (DELETEDDATE).

The accounts table is connected to a date table in my model.

What is the best approach here, create a calculated table that counts the number of created resp. deltete accounts for each date;

DATE           | CREATED | DELETED | RUNNING TOTAL
2018-01-01  | 2               | 0              | 2
2018-01-02  | 1               | 0              | 3
2018-01-03  | 1               | 1              | 3
2018-01-04  | 1               | 0              | 4

Best Regards
Niclas

4 REPLIES 4
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nironixon Please try this in "Power Query"

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTIw1AUiIwNDCyBHKVYnWskIq6gxSNQIXdQEJGqMJGpgAueA5E1RhUC6YgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, CreatedDate = _t, DeletedDate = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"CreatedDate", type date}, {"DeletedDate", type date}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Created", each if [CreatedDate] <> null then 1 else 0),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column", "Deleted", each if [DeletedDate] <> null then 1 else 0),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Conditional Column1", {"CreatedDate"}, {{"Created", each List.Sum([Created]), type number}, {"Deleted", each List.Sum([Deleted]), type number}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Total", each [Created]-[Deleted]),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Custom", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Running Total" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "RunningTotal", each List.Sum(List.FirstN(#"Added Index"[Total],[Index]+1))),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Running Total",{"Total", "Index"})

in
    #"Removed Columns"

Here is the expected output !!

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Hi there and thanks for your efforts and it def. works on a small dataset!

The dataset im working on have approx 1.300.000 rows and the query times out. 

I think it is the #"Added Running Total" statement that sums up rows up to the current index that performs badly;

#"Added Running Total" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "RunningTotal", each List.Sum(List.FirstN(#"Added Index"[Total],[Index]+1))),

Any idea how we can fix this, im totaly blank!

Niclas

Hi,

This can be done with a DAX formula.  In the visual, you would drag Account to the row labels and then write a mesure.  Would you be interested in that solution?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi @nironixon,

I'd like to suggest you do running total on data view side with dax calculate column, it has better performance than direct invoke all list of data to sum up.

Running Total=
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table[Created] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( Table ), [Date] <= EARLIER ( Table[Date] ) )
)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors