Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

barbforsman
Resolver I
Resolver I

Running Total by Month

I am brand new to Power BI Desktop and am LOVING it so far.

Except I am unable to correctly calculate a running total by month.  I have read and reread multiple posts about this already, and tried the formulats in the attached screenshot, but as you can see by the results for each formula tried, the totals do not accumlate month over month.  

Capture.JPG

My expected results are:

Month20162017 Total 
1 $    2,495.00 $    3,626.10 $      6,121.10
2 $    3,520.00 $  10,816.80 $    14,336.80
3 $    4,545.00 $  24,427.49 $    28,972.49
4 $    4,545.00 $  37,775.18 $    42,320.18
5 $    4,945.00 $  52,630.93 $    57,575.93
6 $    8,985.00 $  60,193.77 $    69,178.77
7 $  15,232.57 $  65,007.64 $    80,240.21
8 $  15,232.57 $  97,359.53 $  112,592.10

I have created a date table, dDateTable in the formulas and it has a 1:N relationship to my salesorder table.

Can you help me understand how to do this?  I apologize for repeating a question that has been asked before, but I just cannot get it to work on my own. 

Many thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @barbforsman

Quick question when you are creating your tables, are you using the columns (Month, Year) from the Date table?

If you are using the columns from your Fact or table with the values then the calculations that you created will not work as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @barbforsman

Quick question when you are creating your tables, are you using the columns (Month, Year) from the Date table?

If you are using the columns from your Fact or table with the values then the calculations that you created will not work as expected.

Power BI Blog

That was it!!  Thank you so much!!

Awesome I have done that myself, and your calculations did look to be correct, well done!

Power BI Blog

One more question - I need to reset the total each year so that each year starts from scratch.  I changed the slicer so it is using Date and Month from the dDateTable - is that not correct?

Current output. Column and Row are Month and Date from the dDateTableCurrent output. Column and Row are Month and Date from the dDateTable

Thank you again!

Hello all;

what if I have multiple tables (Actuals, Budget, Forecast) that are joined together using a date dimension table, how do I pull of of the cumulative for each table into one visual?

Thanks

Andrew

Have you tried creating a measure for each table that finds the cumulative value, then pulling the 3 measures into a visual using the year as a Colum (or Row, depending on your preference) and the the measure as the Values?

Thanks @barbforsman.

i have tried that but that does not seem to fix my issue. I can't use any date in my DateDimension table to pull up the cumulative for Actual, Budget and Forecast.

Here is an example of Cumulative Budget. It works as standalone when I use Budget Period as my axis but it does not work when I use [DateDimension].Fulldate or any other field from the DateDimension table. I can't seem to be able to post an image using the "Insert/Edit Image" button above to give you more details, though.

BudgetCumulative =
CALCULATE(
 SUM('Budget'[Budget $ (in '000s')]),
 FILTER(
  ALLSELECTED('Budget'[Budget Period]),
  ISONORAFTER('Budget'[Budget Period], MAX('Budget'[Budget Period]), DESC)
 )
)

Hi there

You can follow my blog post on how to easily post an image: https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/28/how-to-paste-a-screenshot-image-into-the-power-bi-community-forum...

I would suggest opening a new question as this one is already solved?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.