Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sylvain74
Helper III
Helper III

Running Total by Currency

Dears,

I am currently training getting more familiar with Dax in Power BI, and I try to do a running total by currency.

To do so, I am using the AdventureWorksDW2017 database and then FactInternetSales, with a relationship  to DimCurrencyTable.

I created a matrix in which I group rows by CurrencyName and SalesOrderNumber and I display a measure called Sales Amount which derived from the column SaleAmount (Sales Amount = SUMX(FactInternetSales,FactInternetSales[SalesAmount]))

To calculate the running amount, I understood that I need a ranking therefore I created a SalesOrderIndex in FactInternetSales table and then created this measure:

Sales Amount RT by Currency =
VAR MaxSalesOrderIndex = MAX(FactInternetSales[SalesOrderIndex])
RETURN
CALCULATE([Count Sales Order Nb], FactInternetSales[SalesOrderIndex]<= MaxSalesOrderIndex)

Obviously, it does not work...
Can you please help me?
Thanks.

Best regards,
Sylvain
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The reason that you are seeing repeating Cumulative sales amount is because the measure relies on the rank of the sales amount. If the sales amount per order is the same, then you get the same rank, 

There is a hack to solve this (in a random sort of way, since you  need to break the rank for equal sales values. The way to do this is:

Create a new column in the table which adds a minute amount to each sales value per order, such as :

Random column.JPGYou can now use this column to establish the rank by order number, as in:

Rank (Random) Sales =
IF (
    NOT ( ISBLANK ( [Sum Random sales] ) ),
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'Summary Table'[SalesOrderNumber] ),
        [Sum Random sales],
        DESC,
        DENSE
    )
)

Now that you have a new rank by order number, you can calculate the cumulative for the original sales amount based on this rank using:

Running total Sales Amount (random) =
VAR RNK = [Rank (Random) Sales]
RETURN
    IF (
        ISINSCOPE ( 'Summary Table'[SalesOrderNumber] ),
        CALCULATE (
            [Summary Sales],
            FILTER (
                ALLSELECTED ( 'Summary Table'[SalesOrderNumber] ),
                [Rank (Random) Sales] <= RNK
            )
        )
    )

And you will get

Random result.JPG

Attached is the new sample file 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Sylvain74
Helper III
Helper III

Dears,

I am still stuck with this Running total... 😞 

How can I join my pbix file, so that it will more convenient to help me?

Thanks.

You can share a PBIX file using cloud services (OneDrive, Google Drive...)

Paul on Linkedin.

Thanks Paul!

Here after is the link to access the pbix file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtrphPjJln_zisEB-dDvCb825JBjPg?e=9LtB3Y

I created a measure "Sale Amount RT by Currency" in FactInternetSales which should to a running total by currency and Sales Order Nb.

I don't know what I miss but it does not work.

Thanks for the file.

First of all, a heads up on the onus that iteration measures have on processing times for measures. I created the RANK measure and running total for your model, but the processing time for the model makes it unworkable. So I created a summary table within the model (Summary Table) to illustrate the measures.

This is the structure you need:

Summary Sales = SUM('Summary Table'[Sales])
Rank Sales = IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Summary Sales])), RANKX(ALL('Summary Table'[SalesOrderNumber]), [Summary Sales], , DESC,Dense))
Running total Sales Amount =
VAR RNK = [Rank Sales]
RETURN
    IF (
        CALCULATE (
            [Summary Sales],
            FILTER (
                [Rank Sales] <= RNK
            )
        )
    )

and you get

result.JPG

I've attached the sampe PBIX

Paul on Linkedin.

Thank you very much for your help Paul. I need time to understand the differents steps you went throw..However when I look at the results in the print-screen, it seems that the sales amount are not cumulating but repeating...I was expecting to see that for each currency change, the Sales AMount starts from 0 then summing  up when running throw all the sales orders contained in the currency.

Thanks again.

The reason that you are seeing repeating Cumulative sales amount is because the measure relies on the rank of the sales amount. If the sales amount per order is the same, then you get the same rank, 

There is a hack to solve this (in a random sort of way, since you  need to break the rank for equal sales values. The way to do this is:

Create a new column in the table which adds a minute amount to each sales value per order, such as :

Random column.JPGYou can now use this column to establish the rank by order number, as in:

Rank (Random) Sales =
IF (
    NOT ( ISBLANK ( [Sum Random sales] ) ),
    RANKX (
        ALL ( 'Summary Table'[SalesOrderNumber] ),
        [Sum Random sales],
        DESC,
        DENSE
    )
)

Now that you have a new rank by order number, you can calculate the cumulative for the original sales amount based on this rank using:

Running total Sales Amount (random) =
VAR RNK = [Rank (Random) Sales]
RETURN
    IF (
        CALCULATE (
            [Summary Sales],
            FILTER (
                [Rank (Random) Sales] <= RNK
            )
        )
    )

And you will get

Random result.JPG

Attached is the new sample file 

Paul on Linkedin.

Hello Paul,

First of all, sorry for my late answer, I had quite a heavy workload end of last week and did not have time so far to revert.

Your explanation is quite clear! I will study your 2nd pbix file to understand it in details.

Thanks again.

Sylvain74
Helper III
Helper III

Hello,

Any other suggestions or ideas to help me?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sylvain74 , which table you have CurrencyName 

You can try like

RETURN
CALCULATE([Count Sales Order Nb], filter(FactInternetSales, FactInternetSales[SalesOrderIndex]<= MaxSalesOrderIndex && FactInternetSales[CurrencyName] = max(FactInternetSales[CurrencyName])))

Hi @amitchandak ,

I tried below dax statement where I replace CurrencyName by CurrencyKey since it does not exists in FactInternetSales. However it does not work...For each line, it gives the same amount thant the Sales Amount

RETURN
CALCULATE([Sales Amount], FILTER(FactInternetSales, FactInternetSales[SalesOrderIndex]<= MaxSalesOrderIndex && FactInternetSales[CurrencyKey] = MAX(FactInternetSales[CurrencyKey])))

By the way I would like to share the pbix file but I don't know how to. Where is the upload icon/button?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.