Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

heidibb
Helper IV
Helper IV

Running Total Over Six Term Timeframe

Hello,

I am trying to build a calculation that will give me a running total over the list six terms as of each term.

My data is set up as follows:

Capture.PNG

What I would like to do is:

For 19AA6, sum my measure for term axis 0 through -5

For 19AA5, sum my measure for term axis -1 through -6

and so on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @heidibb ,

You can try to create measure or column like DAX below.

Measure1= 
Var A6= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=MAX(Success[TermAxis])-5))
Var B5= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=MAX(Success[TermAxis])-4))
Return
SWITCH(MAX(Success[Code]),"AA",A6, "BB",B5)

Column1= 
Var A6= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=EARLIER(Success[TermAxis])-5))
Var B5= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=EARLIER(Success[TermAxis])-4))
Return
SWITCH(Success[Code],"AA",A6, "BB",B5)

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @heidibb ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @heidibb ,

You can try to create measure or column like DAX below.

Measure1= 
Var A6= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=MAX(Success[TermAxis])-5))
Var B5= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=MAX(Success[TermAxis])-4))
Return
SWITCH(MAX(Success[Code]),"AA",A6, "BB",B5)

Column1= 
Var A6= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=EARLIER(Success[TermAxis])-5))
Var B5= CALCULATE(SUMX(Success,[Measure]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Success), Success[TermAxis] <=EARLIER(Success[TermAxis])-4))
Return
SWITCH(Success[Code],"AA",A6, "BB",B5)

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

artemus
Employee
Employee

I think it would be easier/more clear if you used a calculated column instsead:

VAR current = [Axis]
RETURN CALCULATE(SUM(Table), FILTER(Table, [Axis] > current  -6 && [axis] <= current))

Thank you. Still having a little trouble with this. I used a calculated column with this version of your suggestion:

Rolling = CALCULATE(SUM(Success[TotalEnrollments]), FILTER(Success, [TermAxis] > Success[TermAxis] -6 && [TermAxis] <= Success[TermAxis]))

I'm getting the same value on every row, which is the TOTAL of the "TotalEnrollments" column for the whole table. I just want to total the last term axis rows as of each term axis as I mentioned above. 

What am i missing?

You don't have the VAR. Without it [TermAxis] is relative to the filtering context. The statement as you wrote it is:

Filter out every row where [TermAxis] is less than or equal to itself and more than itself minus 6.

GOT IT! 

Thank you! I have one more level of complexity.

Is there a way to add an add'l filter to this? For example:

Periods that are "AA" i want to sum the last 6

Periods that are "BB" i want to sum the last 5

I do have a field in my data for period code (AA or BB)

I've got it for the AA, but not sure how to add in the BB to the same calc:

Rolling =
VAR abc = Success[TermAxis]
RETURN CALCULATE(SUM(Success[Total Enrollments]), FILTER(Success, Success[Code] = "AA" && [TermAxis] > abc -6 && [TermAxis] <= abc))

Can i add to this to account for the BB code so it sums only the last 5?

Thanks for all your help!

Sure, just use:

IF(Success[Code] = "AA",<true logic>, <false logic>)

<false logic> can also include an IF

If you have a lot of these use a SWITCH

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.