Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running Total Issue for blank values

Hello,
I have a table with date, amount,code,location. It has missing months, I have created a table that has all month data. I have related this table to solve the issue of the missing date. My amount has blank values if I for a few "code" in a few months. I have fixed it by a measure  = IF(SUM('Table'[ Amount])=BLANK(),SUM('Table'[Amount])+0,SUM('Table'[Amount]))

Now my requirement is to calculate the running total and if the values of any month are blank(now zero as I replace the blank with zero) then I want that it will show the last month value.
I am creating a table visual with code, amount and date(this is from the date table that is created to fill missing months)
Running Total =CALCULATE([measure],

FILTER(ALLSELECTED('dT'[EOM]),
'dT'[EOM]<=MAX('dT'[EOM])))
But it is showing only zero for all the missing months and not generating the last month's values for the zero. Rest it is working fine and calculating the running total for all the months that have some value.

Basically, I want if Jan has 60 for a particular account and Feb has 0 or blank for that account then I want Feb to show 60 as well.
This is broken up based on a code column. I hope I am clear in explanation. I have tried many solutions, but nothing worked.
Can anyone sort this one for me?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Let me know if you'd like to get below desired running total:

RunningTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),[Date]<=MAX(Table1[Date])))

7.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Create a Calendar Table and build a relationship from the Date column of your Table to the Date column of the Calendar Table.  In the Calendar Table, create 2 calculated column formulas to extract Year and Month

Year = Year(Calendar[Date])

Month Name = FORMAT(Calendar[Date],"mmmm")

Month Number = MONTH(Calendar[Date])

Click on any cell in the Month Name column and go to Sort By Column > Month Number.

To your visual, drag Year and Month from the Calendar Table.

Write these measures:

Measure = SUM('Table'[Amount])

Running Total = CALCULATE([Measure],DATESYTD(Calendar[Date],"31/12"))

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Ashish_Mathur  and @v-diye-msft ,

Thanks for your responses. But I have still got 0 with both the formulas from DAX. Also, I have to display the value with dates in end of month format. All of this is also done.

I have missing dates on my main table. So for that, I have made a calendar table and built a relationship with the main table.
Now, I have also fixed the blanks with zero as mentioned earlier. But the missing month value is not changing the zero to last month's value. For example let say my data for 2015 has Jan, March, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec.
Month  Amount  Running Total
JAN      70                 70
FEB       0                  0
MARCH  140             210
APRIL      0                   0
MAY        0                    0
JUNE       0                       0
JULY        0                     0
AUG     1900                2110
SEP       30                    2140
OCT    100                    2240
NOV  -1000                 1240
DEC    3000                  4240

Note 0 were blank in the Amount column, I have make them zero. But when I am doing running total with these missing dates then the missing month value is always 0 and not getting into account the last month value

Hi,

My solution should work.  Share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Ashish_Mathur 

For missing dates it is showing zero as the category/code column will be blank for the missing dates thus it is not calculating the running total according to the code.
I can't share the file. For example, I have created the date table to get all the month-end value. Showing the sample for 1 activity/code below.I have around 10 codes. Hope I am clear with my requirement.

CodeDateValueRunning totalDesired
A1/31/2015101010
 2/28/2015 010
A3/31/2015405050
 4/30/2015 050
 5/31/2015 050
 6/30/2015 050
A7/31/201580130130
 8/31/2015 0130
A9/30/201599011201120
A10/31/2015-1000120120
A11/30/2015-200-80-80
A12/31/2015200019201920

Hi @Anonymous 

Let me know if you'd like to get below desired running total:

RunningTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),[Date]<=MAX(Table1[Date])))

7.PNG 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi,

You have shared the desired output.  Now share some dummy data (in a format that can be pasted in an MS Excel workbook) to work with.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If you'd like to show the blank value as the last value, there're 2 methods:

1. Using Fill down in power query:

Capture.PNG

2. Using the measure below:

Measure = var a = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Month]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Month]<MAX('Table'[Month])&&[Amount]<>BLANK()))
var b = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Amount]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Month]=a))
Return
IF(MAX('Table'[Amount])=BLANK()||MAX('Table'[Amount])=0,b,MAX('Table'[Amount])
)

0.PNG

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.