Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wsushox1 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Running Total Chart over Multiple Years

Hello all,

Question regarding both DAX and getteing the correct chart.

Problem:  I want to plot multiple cumulative YTD sales plots on one plot/tile.  I have succesfully been able to do that for one FY but that is dependent on having a slicer of filter on it.  I'd like to do it for multiple years. The image Below should help illuminate where I am at and where I'd like to go:

Daily Sales_FY.PNG

The image above shows that I can plot one year of sales data over whatever period I have selected in the slicer.  In this case, the 2018-2019FY.

However, I'd like to plot the chart in blue ( I don't care about # of sales each day which is what the green line shows) fo the past five years. Ideally I'd have five line graphs with that same shape on the same plot.  Our sales are moving earlier in the fiscal year fall and later in the spring.  I'd like to be able to show this visually to executives.

Any help or ideas on how to set this up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Running Total Chart over Multiple Years

I tried creating an example of what you need. Can you refer to page and let me know what exactly you are looking for. I created two measures and added them to two graphs. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu56wooipvoyoy3/CompareRange_timedim_YearTillDate.pbix?dl=0

Screenshot 2019-10-04 23.56.01.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP,
HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Proud to be a Super User! Linkedin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV
Super User IV

Can you please share the formula.

In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP,
HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges

wsushox1 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Sure. @amitchandak 

The code I am using to calculate the running total sales are the following:

Measure = CALCULATE( SUM(SalesPerDate[Initiates]), FILTER (ALLSELECTED(SalesPerDate), SalesPerDate[Date] <= MAX(SalesPerDate[Date])))

This is giving me the desired outcome of calculating the annual fiscal year todate running total per date with date on the x axis and sales on the y axis.  However, I want to add multiple years - not only the year that I select on the filter/slicer.

2019_United_States_tornado_count

Ideally it would look like this....except for tornados it would be sales. Each line would be a different year.  Does this make sense?
Super User IV
Super User IV

I tried creating an example of what you need. Can you refer to page and let me know what exactly you are looking for. I created two measures and added them to two graphs. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu56wooipvoyoy3/CompareRange_timedim_YearTillDate.pbix?dl=0

Screenshot 2019-10-04 23.56.01.png

View solution in original post

Super User IV
Super User IV

Refer page 9

Helpful resources

Announcements
Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors