Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

desiree
Frequent Visitor

Running Average of Group Data

Hello, I am new to Power BI and DAX. I am trying to create a measure for calculating the moving average of 3 monthly sales by shops. 

On the dashboard there is a slicer for shops, and also a timeline slicer for date, so the user can analyze the dashboard data for a month or quarter. I want to add a moving average line in the sales bar chart by months. Please advise how should I set the DAX formula.

Below a simplified example table:

table.png

I have also created a Calendar table from 2014-1-1 to 2016-12-31:

Calendar.png

I searched the internet and found below DAX for moving Sum. However, I don't know how to modify it so that it will be done by Shop as well.

[3 Month Moving Sum Sales] =
CALCULATE([Sales],
          DATESINPERIOD(Calendar[Date],
                        LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]),-3, Month 
         )

Many thanks in advanced!!! 

9 REPLIES 9
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@desiree This should work... Let me know...

3 Month Moving Sum =
CALCULATE (
    [Sales],
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Store] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( 'Calendar'[Date], LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), -3, MONTH )
)

EDIT: You could use the above Measure to also calculate the 3 Month Average below ...

3 Month Moving Avg =
DIVIDE (
    [3 Month Moving Sum],
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
    ),
)

Hope this helps! Let me know... 

desiree
Frequent Visitor

@Sean , Sorry that I just realize my table is as below.. Actually, I need to calcuate the moving average for each Area which is a slicer in my dashbaord... and a area will include many stores.   Sorry for confusion.   (I am trying to screen capture my dashboard, hope above information helps at this moment)

chart 3.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

So to aggregate at the Area level just substitute [Store] with [Area] in the formula.

desiree
Frequent Visitor

@Sean ,  Besides Calandar table, shall I create a table include "Store" and "Area" and join it to these 2 fields in my data table?

Below is the visual that I applied the MovingAvg(green dot in legend) and MovingSum(black dot in legend). As you can see, there is no barchart in green or black below. Therefore, I wonder I missed something.....

Chart Query.png

@Sean , I corrected my Calandar table. Now, the Moving Sum shows the same value for all months. Any ideas?

Thank you in advanced 🙂

@desiree

Please refer to steps below:

1. In order to rank values, replace “na” sales with 0 in Query Editor.
    11.jpg
  2. Create a new column with following formula:
    Year&Month = 
    VAR string =
        YEAR ( 'Table'[Date] ) & MONTH ( 'Table'[Date] )
    RETURN
        ( VALUE ( string ) )

22.png
  3. Create a measure with following formula:
    3 Month Moving Avg = 
    VAR FirstD =
        FIRSTDATE (
        )
    VAR LastD =
        LASTDATE (
        )
    RETURN
        (
            CALCULATE (
                SUM ( 'Table'[Sales] ),
                'Table'[Date] >= FirstD,
                'Table'[Date] <= LastD
            )
                / CALCULATE (
                    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[Year&Month] ),
                    'Table'[Date] >= FirstD,
                    'Table'[Date] <= LastD
                )
    )

4. Put Hierarchy Slicer, Timeline and “Line and stacked column chart” into the page. Select 'Calendar'[Date] for Timeline. Select Area and Store for Hierarchy Slicer. Select Date(axis), Sales(Column) and 3 Month Moving Avg(Line) for “Line and stacked column chart”

Then the chart will display according to both slicers as below.

33.jpg

Regards,

I think this solution doesnt meet the request.

We need to running average calculation what the slicer selected on the dashboard. Another description average change when the slicer change. I think There sould be dynamoc filter which select the slicer value.

desiree
Frequent Visitor

@Sean , DAX formula pop error when I used below. 

3 Month Moving Sum =
CALCULATE (
    [Sales],
)

It said I may need to add Sum,Min, Max etc for [Sales]. So, I modified the formula to below.

3 Month Moving Sum =
CALCULATE (
    Sum([Sales]),
)

and then, create the  [3 month moving avg] as per your suggestions.

When I tried to drag this measure to chart, nothing shows. Did I do something wrong?

Sorry that I am really new to Power BI and DAX... would you mind sending me an example (.pbix) if you have time?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

What is the name of your 'Table' - did you change 'Table' and 'Calendar' in the formulas to match your own Table names?

Then do the Measures work when you use in a table or matrix?

Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you use the Measures?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.