Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Volvo_Chang
Frequent Visitor

Run out of Memory on Desktop

Hello Team,

I am currently using Power BI Pro desktop to develop my report and recently I keep getting run out of memory with loading around 23 million rows of data. My question is if I upgrade to power bi premium, will it enlarge the memory piece in power bi desktop?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
DanRider
Frequent Visitor

Go buy more RAM

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Volvo_Chang ,

PBI desktop only accept 10GB data irrespective any license. SO it won't affect this limition with Premium as well. You'll have to sliced or decrease the data.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Volvo_Chang not it will not, your local pc memory remains the same but you will able to publish larger datasets in the cloud once you have a premium.

For development purposes, you should limit the dataset in Power BI desktop and once ready, remove that limit, and also you can use an incremental refresh for regular data load.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k 

Thank you for your response. I am on the project with the original poster.

We have a dataset that has several steps in the power query portion. If use half the data rows, Power Bi is able to apply those changes to the report. However, when we use all the rows, we get a "Failed to save modifications" error. 

In your response, you stated that we should "once ready, remove that limit". As you suggested, we are using half the data rows for development. Is it possible to publish the report with all rows without applying all rows to the desktop report?

@ShNBl84 I'm not sure what method you are using to half the load. I usually have a parameter that is used to limit the rows and once development is completed, I uploaded the report still with a parameter value that has a limit on rows, once report is published, in Power BI Service I change the value of the parameter that allows loading all the rows. This allows me to load all rows in the cloud but still gives me the ability to work on a smaller dataset in power bi desktop.

I hope it makes sense.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k 

In "Transform data", I have a SQL command that says to retrieve the last 120 days' worth of reports. That data goes through several steps in "Transform data", then is applied to the report on Power BI desktop without problem. We have not attempted to publish the report online yet, but do not expect to have issues with that.

The problem we have is when I change the SQL command to include 365 days' worth of reports, Power BI desktop is not applying the changes because it says we ran out of memory.

Is there a way to publish the report online with only 120 days' of reports, then go to Power BI online and change the SQL code to refresh online with the needed 365 days? Or, is there another solution that you know of?

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.