Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Run Calculation on one group level and sum on another group level

I have a table that I need to run a calculation by grouping values on one level, but then when they are grouped on another level they need to be added together. I also need to make sure the values are still filterable by the date. A sample of the data would be as follows:

Date

Group

Phase

Value 1

Value 2

1/1/20

4/3/20

4/5/20

6/8/20

So what I need to do is run a calculation on a phase level, say Divide(Sum(Value1),Sum(Value2). 

For Phase 01.01 I would expect: Divide(Sum(6+12),Sum(12+36)) to give me .375.

For Phase 01.02 I would expect: Divide(Sum(8+4),Sum(28+20)) to give me .25.

On the group level I would want these to add to .625.

However I can only get a calculation to give me Divide(Sum(6+12+8+4),Sum(12+36+28+20)), which is .3125.

The only other way I have been able to get my expected result is to place the values in another table but without date.

Is there a way to do this where I can still filter by date?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try this:

Sum Measure = 
SUMX (
   SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group], Table[Phase] ),
   DIVIDE (
        CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Value1] ),
        CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Value2] )
   )
)

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try this:

Sum Measure = 
SUMX (
   SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[Group], Table[Phase] ),
   DIVIDE (
   )
)

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to work! Hopefully I can get this to work in my actual dataset 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous not sure why it is not working for you, but it works fine based on the solution I provided:

parry2k_0-1623958550803.png

Share your dax measure? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah I realize that my table was formatted really poorly in the first post, here's a screen shot that will hopefully provide more clarity.

keburke_1-1623959236646.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous sounds good. Once you are happy, accept a solution so that it can help others as well. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately it looks my results are not summing the way I would expect, that calculation is giving me Divide(Sum(6+12+8+4),Sum(12+36+28+20)) =.3125 versus what I would expect Divide(Sum(6+12),Sum(12+36)) and Divide(Sum(8+4),Sum(28+20)) = .625

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous try this

Sum Measure = 
SUMX (
   VALUES ( Table[GroupPhase] ),
   DIVIDE (
   )
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is working so far! I haven't gone through all I need but so far it is promising!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.