Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rules for "Auto" Display Units?

Hi there!

I'm a bit confused by the rules for setting you Display Units in bar charts to "Auto". We use the same dashboard for many different clients, some of which are huge, and some are quite small, so the Auto Display units seems like a good solution. However, it seems to behave strangely when you want to display data in the hundreds of thousands. See here (and don't mind the (Blank), lol :D):

Does anyone have any insight as to the rules that are followed when you set your display inits to "auto"? Thanks!

Jaap
zEIrIs5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I just figured it out.

The "Auto" labels actually listens to the Y axis of your graph. If your Y axis is being displayed in Thousands, your labels will also be displayed in thousands. The nasty thing is that the smaller the Y axis is, the more likely it is to choose a higher divider (So M instead of K). I dont understand the reasoning behind this, but sadly, this is just how it is for now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jim_B
Frequent Visitor

I'm having challenges with the auto approach.  An improvement would be to enable the auto algorithm with selected display units or a maximum/minimum display unit.  Another BI tool I've worked with has this feature.  For example, I want auto display units but I never want to see the data in billions or trillions, only in thousands or millions.  

Hi Jim, 
did you found a solution for your auto unit approach?
I would like to block as well teh billions, all other units are ok. 

best regards

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

It seems like your records value are too small to display on million unit, you can modify decimal place to display them more clearly.

7.pngRegards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

ough that would help in this case, we have other clients where these numbers might be in the hundreds, causing the data to show 100.0, which of course we'd like to avoid.

I would just want to know what rules PowerBI applies. When does it flip from showing 100K to 0M?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I just figured it out.

The "Auto" labels actually listens to the Y axis of your graph. If your Y axis is being displayed in Thousands, your labels will also be displayed in thousands. The nasty thing is that the smaller the Y axis is, the more likely it is to choose a higher divider (So M instead of K). I dont understand the reasoning behind this, but sadly, this is just how it is for now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.