Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iversa
Helper I
Helper I

Row level security with user email

I have about 20 salespeople user whom I want to share a dashboard that I'm creating in Power BI. I want to use role level security and my data has the user's email in each row. How would I set up a role in Power BI desktop and Power BI online? I don't want to create a role for each user if I don't have to. For 20 salespeople that would seem a lot of work considering that the trunover is big.  What are the best practices around this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @iversa,

Yes, I also think dynamic RLS will suitable for your scenario, you can create a role based on username to filter.(you need user table to mapping current user emails and related to other tables to enable filter effect)

After finish setting dynamic role, you can publish your report and assign role to users by security setting(power bi services side) .

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Reference link:

RLS with UserName()

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
iversa
Helper I
Helper I

I'm guessing that I will need to find a way to do dynamic row level security filtering but is that possible? If so how do I do that?

Hi @iversa,

Yes, I also think dynamic RLS will suitable for your scenario, you can create a role based on username to filter.(you need user table to mapping current user emails and related to other tables to enable filter effect)

After finish setting dynamic role, you can publish your report and assign role to users by security setting(power bi services side) .

Reference link:

RLS with UserName()

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if we have 300 employees in our organization and we want to make each person only see his own result?

Should we assign 300 employees to the RLS we defined!!?

In addition, poeple join and leave the company. So, we cannot always do that manually!

What is the easiest/automatic way to assign people to the RLS filters?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I am facing issue with RLS in PowerBI. We have users with multiple email ids in our organization. SO. for e.g. if i give the email id as ABCXYZ@mycompanyname.com, powerbi automatically takes up another email id for the same user such as ABCXYZ@GCN.mycompanyname.com. Because of this user is not able to access the report since powerbi is not taking the email id that i am trying to give. And if i still give my email id, it does not save the rule and throws an error as - 

The role could not be updated. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDc0c39520-a2bd-46ff-a429-95441fc8ce41

Request IDb2c625eb-7f3a-a509-5439-d163f1f91990

Correlation ID84468bf6-7232-ad69-2a4a-f33dc3d9ca9a

Status code400

TimeSat Jun 29 2019 16:21:58 GMT+0530 (GMT+05:30)

Version13.0.9933.232

Cluster URIhttps://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Any help on this is much appreciated

Thanks

Abhijeet Rakhan

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @iversa,

Reference link:

RLS with UserName()

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.