Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row level security not working in web

Hello,

My RLS works only on Power BI desktop and o Power BI Web this message appears:

The query encountered security filters on a table relationship that cannot be reconciled for the current user. Please contact your administrator or developer to review role memberships and security definitions.

A long time ago I've implemeted RLS on my reports, it was working normally, but now I had to change some relatationships and RLS works only on desktop. Before I had just one table with all uniques workers.

|Workers|

|    id      |

region  |

name  |

|  email  |

But now, a worker can have multiple regions, so Workers table has a worker multiple times, with, same id, name and email, the only thing that changes is its email. For example,

Before file update

1, Center, Carlos, carlos@email.com

2, East, Maria, maria@email.com

3, West, Bruno, bruno@email.com

After file update

1, Center, Carlos, carlos@email.com

1, East Carlos, carlos@email.com

2, East, Maria, maria@email.com

2, South, Maria, maria@email.com

2, Center, Maria, maria@email.com

3, West, Bruno, bruno@email.com

To fix that, I created a bridge table, with distinct user IDs. And applied a both direction relationship and checked "Apply Security Filter in Both Directions". 

This works correctly in Power BI Desktop, but on Power BI Web does not.

How can I fix that and why this works only on Desktop?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
apo1979
Frequent Visitor

The Row-level security (RLS) rule with Power BI only worked in my case when in Workspace I define that users have only Viewer access.

cphilpotts
Frequent Visitor

I'm having this exact same issue. Has anyone figured out a solution? Works great in desktop but as soon as it's published the report breaks. 

Hey @cphilpotts - It turns out that I had a single user in two different security groups. I gave him access via his email to one security group (with global permissions), and he was also in a org wide user group (i.e. Mangers) that had limited permisisons within this specific data set. The two different sets of permissions conflicted with each other and threw up the error.

I resolved it by removing him from the Managers user group so that he was only in one RLS group via his personal email.

Not sure if this is the issue for everyone - I felt pretty silly when I finally resolved it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem and the solution wa to establish only one kind of secutity for every user.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mwest and @mahimabedi

Have you chaged your dax code to use UserPrincipalName() instead of UserName()?

There is a note on Power BI documentation:

Note

When creating cross filtering DAX formulas in Power BI Desktop, use UserPrincipalName(which is often the same as a user's login, such as joe@contoso.com) instead of UserName. As such, you may need to create a related table that maps UserName (or EmployeeID, for example) to UserPrincipleName.

Hope it helps!

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

I can not reproduce the issue by using the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Having the same issueRLS issue.PNG

I'm also having the same issue -- same error message as @mahimabedi

I have the most updated version of Power BI desktop. I have not made any updates to RLS prior to the error occuring. And the issue only occurs for certain users.

I'm submitting a ticket with Microsoft, since I haven't been able to find any other solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft, I was, also, using latest version o Power BI.  The problem happens because of those relationship that I mentioned on my question. As soon as I unchecked "Apply Security Filter in Both Directions"the problem was gone.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.