Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row-level security not flowing through to the fact

RLS.PNGHi All,

RLS is not working for me as expected. I have created a demo in excel for the tabular model that I am using. Here is the background to the problem.

1) I have applied a filter in role 'PBI User' on Security Table -: Email=USERPRINCIPALNAME() 

2) I would expect that if user QATEST01@xyz.com logs in, then security table should first filter to the 1st 2 rows in the excel and from there, that filtering should pass on to Dim - ABC and hence to Fact-ABC.

This is working as expected when I have taken a column from Security table in my report. However, the requirement here is to make the security flow even when the column from Security table is not used in the report. We have independent measures being displayed on tiles , that are only coming from the Fact-ABC table without having to use any slicers. 

Expectation is that as soon as QATEST01@xyz.com logs in, the data for FACT should also be constrained when only measure from Fact is taken in the report but this is not happening and I should get sum(Fact - ABC.sales) as 3000. At the moment, it is not constraining and giving 8000 only, which is the sum of the entire column(hence no filtering happening in the fact)

Filtering in independent fact measures is happening in our other model, which is using security on same principles.

Can someone please help understand what could be the issue here? 

Please let me know if the problem statement is not clear.

Thank you

Milan

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please check the relationship between every two tables to set the "Cross filter direction" option to "Both".

Please describe more what does "the column from Security table is not used in the report" mean. What is the measure formula you used to get total value?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.