Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row level security in Power BI

Hi All,

I am trying to implement Dynamic RLS in my organization . I was able to implement all the steps to setup DRLS in PBI Desktop and published to premium workspace.

I have added a user group (which contains all the employees in my organization) in the security tab.

The concern is, i have to share the report only to 15k users(only the end users of the report).I do not have an AD group specifically for these 15K users.   

Now my question is that, how do i share my report to these 15K users. Please suggect.

Thanks in advance,

Madhavi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

You can try to migrate current group users to a security group. (use PowerShell scripts to batch operation automatically)

Copy group members to another group 

After these, you only need to assign the role to a new security group to enable the RLS effect instead duplicate this operation on each user.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 
Notice: current RLS only works for read permission users, please not share edit permission or it will ignore RLS filter effect.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

You can try to migrate current group users to a security group. (use PowerShell scripts to batch operation automatically)

Copy group members to another group 

After these, you only need to assign the role to a new security group to enable the RLS effect instead duplicate this operation on each user.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 
Notice: current RLS only works for read permission users, please not share edit permission or it will ignore RLS filter effect.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To define security roles, follow these steps. Import data into your Power BI Desktop report, or configure a DirectQuery connection. Note You can't define roles within Power BI Desktop for Analysis Services live connections. You need to do that within the Analysis Services model. From the Modeling tab, select Manage Roles. Select Manage Roles From the Manage roles window, select Create. Select Create Under Roles, provide a name for the role. Under Tables, select the table to which you want to apply a DAX rule. In the Table filter DAX expression box, enter the DAX expressions. This expression returns a value of true or false. For example: [Entity ID] = “Value”. 

Admin

apps4rent | o365cloudexperts | clouddesktoponline

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

You probably need to create a Security group for them or list each individual when publishing the  App.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.