Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

Row level security exempt

Hi guys,

I've started applying RLS for Sales users, so data in all tables drill down to see only their figures/statistics. 

My filter is simple. [user_name]="value" which I have applied for all users and did the test role and it worked as expected. 

However my issue is with the rest of the users (senior Management) as I want them to be exempt, and where they are able to see all the data. 

Now I have Sales users being able to see their own data, but the rest of the users getting a message of "You don't have access becuase RLS was applied"

Is there any quick workaround here I can do here to exempt particular users from the RLS?

Appreciated,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KHorseman @ibarrau 

So once RLS mode in place, a role has to be created to each user/department. 

In my case I had definded roles to only Sales users (users[user_name]= "Sales Name")

As a workaround, I just created a conditional column (users[SeniorManagement] which has a value of "SM" to all sales users, and then created a role SM (users[SeniorManagement]= "SM") and then I added all SM users so they can see all the data 

Thanks for your respond guys.

Cheers,

Majd

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

It seems to be that those users getting the error are not PRO users. Because if they where, they should see all data even if you add them a role, they should see something.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Once you publish online, you have to go to the dataset and click on Security, then add the users to the roles you've created in Desktop. Have you done that yet?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@KHorseman @ibarrau 

So once RLS mode in place, a role has to be created to each user/department. 

In my case I had definded roles to only Sales users (users[user_name]= "Sales Name")

As a workaround, I just created a conditional column (users[SeniorManagement] which has a value of "SM" to all sales users, and then created a role SM (users[SeniorManagement]= "SM") and then I added all SM users so they can see all the data 

Thanks for your respond guys.

Cheers,

Majd

@majdkaid22I think you may have misunderstood me. You can create a single role for all of your sales managers or whatever. You do not have to create a separate role for each individual manager. You just have to assign each user to actually use that role once you publish. After publishing, go to Datasets, right click on the dataset with the row level security and click on "Security" in the menu that pops up. You will see the roles you have created. Add user accounts to that role and save.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@KHorseman appreciated buddy. that exactly what I did. Now I have all sales users under one role where they can only see their associated data, and Senior Management under a different role where they can see all the data. 

Cheers,

Majd

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.