Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tabuzahra
Helper II
Helper II

Row index numbers changes

Hello,

I'm not that experienced in Power Bi. Though, I have created an index for each row for the table (x) which starts from 1 and this table is read from an Excel sheet.

I also have excluded (filtered) some of those indexes as some rows have duplicates so I wanted to eliminate specific rows depend on the index number.

After I have applied it, i noticed that whenever the Excel sheet is modified and I refresh the table from Power Bi, those indexes numbers that were filtered has been changed.

Is there any solution that I can have fixed index number that will never change? or is there any solution to solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @tabuzahra ,

When you create an index in Power Query, it increments on every row. The only thing that I could see would be to hard code 1,2,3 into a column in Excel that is part of your table.  That way the values should read 1,3 if you delete row 2 and you retain your original numbering of the remaining rows.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @tabuzahra ,

When you create an index in Power Query, it increments on every row. The only thing that I could see would be to hard code 1,2,3 into a column in Excel that is part of your table.  That way the values should read 1,3 if you delete row 2 and you retain your original numbering of the remaining rows.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.