Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gilles_DR
Frequent Visitor

Row by row multiplication between two many to many fact tables

Hi,

I have 2 fact tables:

Fact Table 1: Participations

Fact Table 2: Financial Transactions

There is a many to many relationship between Participations and Financial Transactions. This was resolved by creating a bridge table between the two fact tables.

I need to create a measure that perfroms a row by row calculation that simply multiplies an amount from Fact 2 with a column called participation from Fact 1.

I have a bunch of measures that are all written like this, the only thing that changes is the column Amount from Financial Transaction. They produce the correct result.

Measure =

SUMX (
ADDCOLUMNS (
'Financial Transaction Base',
"Participations", CALCULATE(SUM('Participation Base'[Participation]))
),
[Participations] * 'Financial Transaction Base'[Amount]
)

The measures are used in another dax query that is basically a SUMMARIZECOLUMNS and some filters. 
In DAX Studio I'm noticing that the DAX engine is performing the calculation of the measures one at a time, which is painfully slow because the calculation of 1 measure takes 1 minute. If i request 20 measures.. you get the idea. 

Is there any optimization possible here? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thanks!

I eventually found out that ADDCOLUMNS whas the biggest problem since it takes an entire table in memory and is not fast at all. So I ended up rewriting my measure using SUMMARIZE. This gives me the result in 10 seconds rather than 1 min 30 seconds.

It's still not super fast but it is a lot better than it was previously.

Kind regards,

Gilles

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Gilles_DR ,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following blog about optimizing iteration functions:

Optimizing nested iterators in DAX 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

That didn't get me any further i'm afraid.

I'd like to know why the dax engine doesn't perform the calculation on the same set of materialised data. In DAX studio I can clearly see that for each measure (like the one I posted above) , data is materialised and then the calculation is performed. The materialisation should only happen once.

Kind regards,

Gilles

Hi @Gilles_DR,

In fact, some of dax functions contain internal iteration to looping table records, if you nested multiple of them or use iteration to calculate across multiple tables based on relationship, the calculation amount will multiplier and cause the performance issues.

BTW, you can also take a look at the following links to trace DAX queries and their performance:

Introducing the Power BI Performance Analyzer 

Capturing Power BI queries using DAX Studio 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks!

I eventually found out that ADDCOLUMNS whas the biggest problem since it takes an entire table in memory and is not fast at all. So I ended up rewriting my measure using SUMMARIZE. This gives me the result in 10 seconds rather than 1 min 30 seconds.

It's still not super fast but it is a lot better than it was previously.

Kind regards,

Gilles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.