Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sshweky
Helper III
Helper III

Row Level security

Hi -

I am using the new feature - 'Row Level Security' ...

(1) How do I assign a "role" to a user after I creaste it in PBI Desktop?

(2) Can I hide an entire report for a specific role?

Thanks,

Steven

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sshweky,

I agree with @Greg_Deckler.

Have you checked the following article? You can add member to the role by typing in the email address, or name of the user, security group or distribution list you want to add. This operation can only be taken in Power BI Service rather than in Power BI Desktop.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

In addition, you can specify a value which doesn’t exist in your dataset when creating DAX expression for the role. After that , test the results of the role within Power BI Desktop and you will find that you hide the entire report for this role. There is an example for your reference.
Capture123.PNG
Capture124.PNG

However, if the above solution is not helpful, please describe more details about your requirement.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-yuezhe-msft is there any chance to set the "view as" as default for all users? Thus, enabling RLS for the PBI-file per default?

Thank you. However, I can understand how to hide specific data, but I have different views of the same data for different roles. I only want to shown the report specific to the respective role.

Thanks,
Steven

Hi @sshweky,

Could you please share sample data and post expected result here? Do you want to show single visual in a report page to a specific role?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

1. You need to publish it to the Service and then you can assign roles

2. I suppose, if you put rules in place like [Client] = "Nobody" and there is no "Nobody" client, they wouldn't be able to see anything pertaining to any clients for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Neither answer is helpful. Thanks anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.