Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security

Hi All,

I have 2 Reports.
1- Overall Report (where all users have the access)
2- Region wise report (Where RLS is implemented and only the corresponding users can see their region data)
The link to the Region Wise report is given in the Overall report  - Using Web URL through Bookmarks.
The issue is :
In the Main report (Overall), the expectation is to provide buttons with different Region Names and when the user clicks on their corresponding region Button, it would take them to the Region Wise report and they would see their region data as the RLS is implemented there.

The challenge , i am facing is with the Main report navigation part. All the buttons are taking to the same report where RLS is implemented.How to Disable/Hide the button click for other region users or like if they click on  other region , it should show some Messages.The managers need to view all the buttons also.
Is there any way to achieve this. I tied with USERPRNCIPALNAME, but ws not able to  conect it with Azure AD as our securty groups are created there.

Could someone Please helpme with this

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , a different view point perhaps - but if your region level report already has RLS enabled, you can't really select a specific region button when opening the report.

You could consider enabling RLS at the main report level, but that doesn't sound like it fits the use case.

Just have one button for the region report - it will apply RLS when it opens anyway, so the viewer will only see the regions they have access to.

Alternatively, I know Patrick from Guy in a Cube did some videos on conditional drill through pages - this may not exactly fit your use case, but it could give you some ideas 🙂 

thanks ! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thanks Gavin.  I agree with you. But here is the catch.
Tha managers should be able to see Regionwise reports also. Thats why we need to display all those region buttons and whenver other region user comes, it should perform some other action. thats where I am confused.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to this blog, it will help you:

Page (Tab) Level Security & Conditional Navigation in Power BI! 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@V-lianl-msft  Thanks a lot . That helped me solve one of the major part. But another issue iam facing right now is how to show each country wise report to the Mangers (As I Told, We have one single report where RLS is applied.Managers will be added to a security group having all countries).  Since the manager is added to the group with all countries, even if he/she clicks on a particular country button, he will seeing the overall data only ryt?. Is there any solution/workaround for  that?

When manger logs in to power bi, he/she would be seeing ifferent country buttons

Overall    France   Germany   Italy

Since the underlying report is same, how can themangers see the data for Germany only , if they click on Germany (as they are added to a group having all countries ). Kindly help on this

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , yes - but they don't need to see a button for each region? Or ... maybe think about the of having several buttons.

Just have a single button to launch the regional report and then let the RLS in the regional report determine which regions are displayed ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak . Thanks Amit for the document. But that doesnt meet my requirment. Let me explain what I am looking for is how to

1. Connect to Azure AD and fetch all the user  and group details
2. Create some DAX expression using USERPRNCIPALNAME so that, if we know a user from this region has logged in and hence the   other Buttons should be made hidden/not clickable. (As we are not applying RLS on the main report. Everyone can see that. Only the   Region buttons in the Main report is in question. )

I did some research in the net and couldnt get the required nformation. Could you please let me know whether this can be acheived.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.