Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security with Roles to match multiple values

Hi,

I am trying to set up RLS. I've made an excel sheet with User email, and columns for each of different level of access that represent the managers and their levels. 

My issue is that the same user email may contain few managers that he has access to within one level of access and these values are on different rows, but same column. So lookup doesn't really work for me in this case (works only when a user has one access value).

For such users, with multiple access within the same level, I want to display all of data of those managers that he has access to. So far, this is being shown as different roles, but this is tedious, as there are more and more users getting access to different managers, requiring to create roles for each of them.

in an example, my issue is with user2 and user4.

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

For such users, with multiple access within the same level, I want to display all of data of those managers that he has access to. So far, this is being shown as different roles, but this is tedious, as there are more and more users getting access to different managers, requiring to create roles for each of them.

I'm confused on your description and requirement, could you please clarify why you need to create roles for different user account?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certain analysts may have access to different levels of security. RLS is filtered based on Managers names and their level of seniority. Some analysts have access for few different managers that are on the same level of seniority.

The way we have data of employees and their managers with their seniority levels in database:Capture1.PNG

So for example, an analyst may want to access data of employees that are under John Doe and Robert California. I have to use L2 to match the names. I cannot use L1 because this will include more Employees than Expected, there might be more L2 managers under L1 that I do not want to give access to. 

So when I create an Excel sheet with access I create it in the way, so that it matches L2 in our data:

Capture2.PNG

And I use lookup:

[L2] = LOOKUPVALUE('Access'[L2], 'Access'[User Email], USERPRINCIPALNAME())

This works when an analyst have access to one manager of that seniority, but not when more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

up as I really need a help with this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.