Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security using excel data source

Hi,

I have implemented row level security, but when user view the report or dashboard, stil he see entire data set. Am I missing any step here. When I Test the role its works fine, but when I see it in the report or dashboard its not applying the rule.

I followed below link

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Pls correct where I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Lydia for your great support. And I am vey much interested to take this Power BI tool to the Small amd Mid Sized companies and looking forward to build a team of power bi folks. Can we start work together and bring small company. By the way I have experienced with different BI tools as well like Qlikview, Tableau and SAP Business Objects. I am available skype at any time. Skype: thimmaraju.madugundu

What do think, much appreaciated your support.

Thanks,

Thimma

Hi Thimma,

As the RLS issue is resolved, could you please mark helpful reply as answer by clicking "Accept as Solution "? That way, other community members could benefit from this solution.

In addition, about the above issue, please open a new thread, we can discuss it in that new thread.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Thimma,

I test the scenario as yours following the steps in this blog, Row Level Security(RLS) works as expected. When I share the dashboard to my colleague, he can only view the filtered data.

Could you please share the detailed steps that you implement? Also please make sure you convert your Excel file into PBIX file first before you enable RLS.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia for reply, These row level security can be at the data set, once I publish the dasboard to the server.  I shared with my colleague with rule Country=US. but he still able to see the entire data set rather than US data.

Thanks,

Hi Thimma,

Could you please describe your steps? Do you add DAX with this format : [Country] = "US" when creating rule? I follow the steps below to implement RLS.

1. Convert my Excel file into PBIX file.
2. Import my PBIX file to Power BI Service, create a report and pin the report to a new dashboard.
3. Create a role and enter my colleague’s email-address.
4. Create a rule to define a data filter for Canada. I enter the DAX: [Country] = "Canada".
5. Share my dashboard to my colleague. When he logs in Power BI Service, he can only view the data of Canada.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia, I shared with other user and applied different rule and it works like charm. But I am the owner of that dashboard, I see complete data even I am part the RULE. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes. When you add yourself as a member of the created role, you can still see complete data because you are the owner of the dashboard.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia for your great support. And I am vey much interested to take this Power BI tool to the Small amd Mid Sized companies and looking forward to build a team of power bi folks. Can we start work together and bring small company. By the way I have experienced with different BI tools as well like Qlikview, Tableau and SAP Business Objects. I am available skype at any time. Skype: thimmaraju.madugundu

Thanks,

Thimma

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks,

Thimma

Hi Thimma,

As the RLS issue is resolved, could you please mark helpful reply as answer by clicking "Accept as Solution "? That way, other community members could benefit from this solution.

In addition, about the above issue, please open a new thread, we can discuss it in that new thread.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia and appreciated your suggestion.

Here you go with my new post : http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Team-forming-of-Power-BI-resources/m-p/38288#M14175

Thanks,

Thimma

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia, Pls share your thought.

Thanks,

Thimma

gonrodrigues
Helper III
Helper III

A guy from Microsoft told me that Row Level Security cannot be applied to Excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gonrodrigues

Pls take a look at this and let me know of your interest.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Team-forming-of-Power-BI-resources/m-p/38346#M14206

Thanks,

Thimma

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, but we are applying security at the data sheet level, so how it matter whatever source you use.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.