Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

Row Level Security settings override if person is member of SharePoint group ?

I have set up row level security, and it is working as it was suposed to

then we got more reports, and instead of sharing each report with 50 persons, we  made a sharepoint groupe

so we have he sharepoint group "finance" 

- now my problem is that every member in this groupe is ignooring the row levle security - 

is this a feature or an error ?

and am i doing the whole sharePoint  thing wrong

Yes they log in via powerbi.com with their own credentials, and if i only share the repporte it works perfectly, but if i add them to the groupe "finance" on the SharePoint Server, the now can see beound what ther role was normaly limited to.

The simple solution is ofc to remove ALL persons from the sharePoint groupe and go back to manualy distributing 10 reports among 300 people... 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

"

Using RLS with workspaces in Power BI

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace within the Power BI service (such as Sharepoint), the roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the workspace settings.

How to set this :

on the power Bi portal  :

Click the 3 dots at the end of the workspace name  - select "edit work space"

in the new window:

Select members can only read

Edit workspaceEdit workspaceToggle setting that will make RLS work in sharepoint - RygaardToggle setting that will make RLS work in sharepoint - Rygaard

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

"

Using RLS with workspaces in Power BI

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace within the Power BI service (such as Sharepoint), the roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the workspace settings.

How to set this :

on the power Bi portal  :

Click the 3 dots at the end of the workspace name  - select "edit work space"

in the new window:

Select members can only read

Edit workspaceEdit workspaceToggle setting that will make RLS work in sharepoint - RygaardToggle setting that will make RLS work in sharepoint - Rygaard

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Rygaard 

You may take a look at the post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-and-display-a-PowerBI-report-on-SharePoint-based-on-...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I still dont get it

There is no where i see the "membership of Sharpoint will override rowlevel security" or ... any thing similar.

All i can see is that this is the result - and i dont know how to stop it.

one of the articles are 5 pages on how to generate tokens and so on... we dont do that (yet) since we only use it internaly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.