Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kar92thi
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security not working for Author

Hi Experts

I published a report and created RLS in the Dataset with different roles. I assigned people to different roles and works as epected based on my filter conditions for the roles. 

But when I assign myself to a role, I am still seeing all the data. It is not filtering based on the roles defined. 

Is this the expected result ? Does the publisher have all access to the dataset irrespective of the RLS defined ? 

Any help is much appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

This is the expected result.  The dataset owner is given full access to the dataset, but can view it as any role they want.  If dataset owners didn't have full access, what access level would they have? How could they be expected to know what fields/values were available to implement RLS for other users? 

If you have a need to restrict the dataset for yourself, you can set up a seperate PowerBI admin account to create/upload/manage the dashboards, and then add yourself to a group normally.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

This is the expected result.  The dataset owner is given full access to the dataset, but can view it as any role they want.  If dataset owners didn't have full access, what access level would they have? How could they be expected to know what fields/values were available to implement RLS for other users? 

If you have a need to restrict the dataset for yourself, you can set up a seperate PowerBI admin account to create/upload/manage the dashboards, and then add yourself to a group normally.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.