Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security messing up filtering

Hello,

I have an issue when using RLS on my dashboard.
I have a visual that shows all the possible statusses of a product combined with the amount of products that have that status. I also have 2 filters. one of the filters is a project filter, and the second one is a user filter
A product can be assigned to either a user, a project or both.

The filter i use in the DAX expression for RLS uses the company_id to filter the data. The issue i have is when i enable RLS, the visual becomes empty. I have been doing some testing, and when i disable the RLS for the project filter, the visual shows somewhat correct data. 

is there a way to fix this behaviour, so the visual shows the data instead of becoming empty?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous can you pl. share your powerbi file if possible. You can put dummy data instead of your senstive data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@negi007 I am unable to share the file unfortunatly. if u can tell me what u would like to see, i can provide screenshots if needed.

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous it seems like there is an issue the way RLS has been implemented as of result user is not able to view the data. Please note that RLS when implemented filter the data according to the role assigned to the users. I would suggest you to share your PBI file or some screenshot of your file. This will help us to understand the issue.

below are some links which can guide you on this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/rls-guidance

https://radacad.com/what-do-you-need-to-implement-dynamic-row-level-security-in-power-bi

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

@negi007 

I have some screenshots here:

IZee_0-1620307712671.pngIZee_1-1620307739604.png

Sorry for the weird language, i am dutch 😛

The 1st screenshot shows the data when there is no RLS applied. 
The 2nd screenshot shows the way i implemented the RLS. each table has their own "bedrijf_id".

IZee_3-1620307901184.png

the 3rd screenshot shows what a certain customer would see. This is all their products.

IZee_4-1620307950472.png

the 4th screenshot shows what the customer sees when the RLS for the users is activated.

IZee_5-1620308032618.png

And the 5th screenshot shows what happens when the RLS for the user and the projects are enabled. Almost gets rid of all rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.